T W E N T Y

The tension kept growing between you and the photographer since you acknowledged your past relationship. Could you even call it a 'relationship'? It had definitely felt like one... or at least the heartbreak was what was similar. Either way, you spent the afternoon ignoring any conversations regarding both of your personal lives and instead talked about the weather, Rome and work.

It was night time and you had insisted on visiting the Trevi Fountain. You heard that it was beautiful during the day but it was bewitching at night. You opted to walk since it was a pleasant evening and the fountain wasn't that far, only a 15 minute walk away from your hotel. Kendall was walking by your side and you could tell there was so much on her mind; even though it had been years, some things never changed.

"What's bothering you?" you chose to break the silence. Kendall glanced at her walking feet, not wanting to meet your eyes as she shook her head. "What is it?" you insisted.

"I—just how weird all of this is, don't you think?" you sighed. Since Kendall came back into your life, everything was weird.

"A bad weird or a good weird?"

"Just weird," she expressed. You glanced up and studied her. The photographer was wearing a grey jumper that rose slightly over her baggy mom-jeans, exposing a glimpse of her navel. Matching her outfit, she was wearing some white sneakers and a long indigo coat that reached her knees. Her dark silky hair was falling around her and with every step she took, it moved gracefully. You found yourself smiling and, uneventfully, Kendall glanced at your way in that moment. "Why are you smiling?"

"Because it's been a really, really long time," you admitted and she nodded, copying your smile. Somehow, it didn't matter how confused you were, you felt happy. Happy that she was here with you, wandering through the charming corners of Rome.

"Is that your way to say that you are happy to see me?" the dark-haired girl hesitantly asked.

"Yeah," you breathed out after some seconds of quietness.

"I'm happy to see you too," she revealed, her smile widening at the words. You wanted to bring up your previous conversation, the one that left Kendall at a loss of words and the one you had been trying to avoid since the photographer appeared in your life. However, you decided against it.

You arrived at the enormous Trevi Fountain with excited tourists flocked all around it, posing for pictures or throwing coins in the fount. The Eternal City was such a touristic destination that it wasn't hard to find the attractions since they were always surrounded by travelers. In a bold movement, you took Kendall's soft hand in your own and dragged her closer to the fountain. The excuse to such action could have been that there were so many people gathered around that you didn't want neither of you to get lost. But again, it was an excuse. Actually, you wanted to hold her hand on your own, to remember how that felt like. Before Kendall, you didn't believe the whole 'two hands can fit perfectly together' but she had definitely changed that. The tall girl's hands were like the missing puzzle piece to yours; you felt the butterflies waking up in your stomach as soon as her hands touched yours. You didn't feel this with Olivia: the butterflies, the electricity and the sensation that your hands always belonged together. Unfortunately, you held them for just some seconds while walking through the crowd, but after that was done, she pulled away and thrusted them back into the pockets of her indigo blue coat. You tried not to frown but the action caught you off guard; maybe she didn't want to held hands or maybe she wanted to respect boundaries.

"How much do you think I know about this fountain?" Kendall asked while raising a challenging eyebrow and you chuckled, of course she knew nothing.