T E N

All possible scenarios ran through your head. What could she possibly confess? That she was in love with you? Shit, no, of course not. No need to be delusional. You gulped and felt your heart speeding up at the silence.

"Go on," you encouraged with a croaky voice. Your throat was dry while you were waiting impatiently for a reply. You turned around, facing her. She was in the other bed, facing you but you could only make out her silhouette in the dark room. You'd have loved to study her face in that instant; usually, bodies speak for themselves, even when we are not aware of it.

"Remember when I asked you to take care of our bags while I was checking in back at the Grand Canyon?" she asked and you immediately sensed the hesitance in her voice. You remembered that moment but you mostly recalled the situation at the small elevator.

"Yeah," you faintly replied.

"I requested for a room change, you know?" you frowned, not quite understanding. Kendall noticed your silence and decided to explain further. "Since we both are very aware of our mutual attraction, I thought I could..."

"What do you mean by room change?" you pondered. She sighed and you heard her shuffling in bed.

"You reserved a twin room, just like this one we are on right now. I changed the reservation and asked for a double bed room," the dark-haired girl admitted.

"Oh," that was all you could say. You were still processing her words. She wanted to sleep in the same bed, with you, and that was why she had the reservation changed. That made sense. You thought about how you were sleeping apart right now, about how much you were missing the heat of her body or the way her breathing in the nape of your neck made you feel relaxed.

"Are you mad at me?" Kendall wondered after some seconds of complete silence. There was so much going on your mind. You weren't mad at that but you were mad at the fact that you weren't sleeping in the same bed as her and that she was being so stubborn about her feelings towards you.

"No," you breathed out. "It's just... You... I... You can't tell me that right now," you sighed frustratedly. "You can't say that to me now."

"Why?"

"Really?" you asked bewildered. "I'm trying here, you know? I'm trying hard not to crawl into your bed, not to wrap my arms around your waist, not to kiss you... I— it's not easy, Kendall," you cried.

"I'm sorry," she apologized. "It's hard for me too."

You didn't answer to her, you just breathed out again and tried to get some sleep. You didn't know for how long you were traveling with Kendall but what you did know was that this was going to be painfully difficult and that either way you would end up heartbroken at the end.

...

You had always thought that to be in love was going to be difficult for you and yet you yearned to be loved and to love. You believed that it was going to take weeks for you to fall in love, that first you needed to know every single detail about that person, about their likes, about how their mind worked. You had even thought about an ideal partner, with certain values and a good family. But here, you found yourself falling for someone that you knew little about and even though she was opening up more and more to you, there were a hundred of things you didn't know about her. It made you so curious about how love worked.

"What are you thinking about?" Kendall wondered as she was driving to Denver. From Moab to Denver there was a five-hour drive and you and Kendall had decided to drive two-hours and a half each. You were quiet but your thoughts were loud, and even though Kendall couldn't hear them, you were sure she could sense them. They were screaming and they were powerful, they wanted to be heard.