T W E L V E

"I don't care," she tried to sound nonchalantly but you knew that deep down she was interested in  knowing the answer. "I just want to know who is making us late."

"Sure Jan," you rolled your eyes at her. "For starters, you made us late by having a second breakfast," you accused her. You turned on the engine and started driving to your destination: Mount Evans, which was almost two hours away from Denver. The great thing about Mount Evans is that it had a paved road that took you to the top; it was usually called a road into the sky.

"Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, don't you know that?" you narrowed your eyes at her. You nodded and kept driving silently. You knew she was trying to make conversation but you didn't feel like talking right now. You could still feel the electricity of her lips faintly brushing against yours and the feeling of disappointment when she dodged them. Kendall was really good at confusing you and you were getting so tired yet used to it.

The drive was slow because none of you were actually talking. The only sounds heard were the ones of the engine and the music from the CD that your dad gave you. David Bowie's Heroes was blasting through the speakers of the car and your stomach flipped at the lyrics. This song reminded you so bad of everything going on with Kendall. A song about two people who wanted to be together but something was stopping them. Those people were you and Kendall, for sure. You felt that song in a way you had never experienced before, feeling deeply identified with the lyrics and feeling it in every corner of your body. You gripped the steering wheel trying to keep your emotions at bay while driving. You peeked at Kendall who looked tense too; you weren't sure if the song was getting to her too. The tension between you two was still at its peak and every glance or touch fueled it even more.

Mount Evans was getting bigger and bigger within each minute that passed. You wondered how long it would take to get to the top since this mountain was huge but from what you had read, it said it could only take about ten to fifteen minutes in car. Not long after, you found yourself at the bottom of the road that was in charge of taking you to the top of the mountain.

"Are you ready?" you briefly glanced at Kendall as you started driving through Mount Evan's road. She nodded with a broad smile on her face.

"I'm excited," she added with joy.

"Have you ever been to the top of a mountain apart from the ones in California?" she shook her head and looked down.

"I— my parents, well, they are busy people and they never have time for that. Or anything, for that matter. That's why I decided to get out and experience things for myself," Kendall clarified. That was why she was here with you. To experience things.

"Have you ever been out of California?"

"Yeah, I went to New York a couple of times, because of my parents' business but I barely remember anything. I went to Paris once too," she grinned at that memory as she looked dreamily through the window and you smiled at her.

"So, this trip... is about you, experiencing things?" you asked. There was another question subtly implied but you didn't think she caught that. Was she only getting to know the world or was she experiencing love too?

"Pretty much, yes," she briefly met your eyes.

"And how is it going?" you curiously wondered. You remembered when Kendall had trouble trusting you and telling you things, but now it felt so easy to talk to her.

"Awful," she playfully joked. "I don't want to boost your ego but honestly, since I found you, my trip got better."

"What did you do before meeting me? I remember seeing you with that family at the Yosemite Park but that's it."