A DNA test would require Claire's permission. Not to mention she had filed a case that very morning siting her missing daughter.

The police were bound to show up at Jack's residence anytime within a couple of hours.

Ted sighed. There was no way his clients were going to get hauled into jail for kidnapping. He needed to show up before the police reached them.

Ted glanced at his watch, it was almost lunch time. Maybe Axky's wife wouldn't mind fixing him some lunch too. She was a pretty good cook and great with the kid.

"Leslie got pretty lucky." he said cracking his knuckles. His own wife had walked out on him twenty years ago, and he'd never had any kids.

"Ah well." he said as he shut his suitcase. "That little kid Vicky said she loves me. Maybe she'll think of me as her grandfather."

It is funny how a little love can make anyone's bitterness go away.

***

"What if they send me back?"

"They? You mean Jack and Brielle?" asked Axky in surprise as Vicky nodded. "They will never ever send you away love. We rescued you because we never ever want to let you go, okay?"

"What if they hate me?" she asked her lips trembling.

"They will love you, or Uncle Axky will kick their butt." he said ruffling her hair. She giggled.

"Wanna call them then?" said Axky pulling out his phone.

"Yes!" she said admiringly. "I love you Axky."

"I love you more." he said kissing her nose.

"No! I love you more." she protested.

"I love you more more more." said Axky with the toothiest of smiles.

"No! I love you more more more more!" she said baring all her missing teeth.

Paula smiled to herself as she set the pies in the oven. She sighed as she realized how wrong she was for a person like Axky. They would never work out together. He was carefree and fun loving and would make a great husband and father. Her head hurt as she realized that she couldn't give him any of the things he needed.

She thought of her medical reports once again and willed herself not to cry.

All she had was a future full of uncertainties and a past she could not change. She watched the rain pour down again as she wondered : maybe she should simply leave.

Just then, a familiar car pulled up in front of the house and Brielle came running up to the door. An equally excited, but more collected Jack followed her in.

Paula's face lit up with a smile. She couldn't leave just yet...

***

Jack could only stare as the same brown eyes looked back at him. They scrutinized each other from head to toe for over two full minutes. Axky, Paula and Brielle watched as the two finally met.

"Victoria?" Jack said finally. He felt weird as he got down on his knees for the second time that year.

"Daddy!" she exclaimed running up to him. He subconsciously opened his arms out to her and it surprised him how snugly she fit in. He knew in an instant, that he would never let her go. He held her close as tears fell down his eyes. Brielle clutched her hand close to her chest as she watched her fiance break down into the happiest tears of his life.