Chapter 6

Brielle's throat turned dry as she looked at Jack. He was staring at her, his flawlessly handsome face registering a look of amusement. Not easily amused, huh?

"My name is Brielle and I shall be your waitress tonight." she said with a smile. She tried not to look at any of  the three men at the table. They were each handsome in their own way, the guy on the left was tanned perfectly and wore a gorgeous stubble, the other man beside him was blonde haired and grey-eyed, exceedingly good-looking with the pair of glasses at the bridge of his nose. 

But Jack Dixon was by far the hottest. She couldn't ignore the taut muscles under the tight suit he wore. his chiseled body and the sexy voice. Brielle was having a difficult time keeping a straight face.

"I'll have a vegetable soup and a croissant please." said the man with the spectacles, without even looking up from his notes.

"Brielle is such a lovely name. Perfect for the beautiful girl that you are."  said the dark haired man on the left. Brielle blushed a deep red at the compliment. He spoke with a sexy accent, that made Brielle want to swoon. "I'm half Portuguese, I'll have the Amêijoas à Bulhão Pato, a Portuguese dish."

 As Brielle noted the item down, Jack Dixon cleared his throat loudly, casting him a dirty look.

"Raul do not flirt with my employees." he said impatiently. 

Raul grinned merrily, unperturbed. "Whatever you say Boss."

"I'll have the chicken lasagna." said Jack looking at Brielle so coldly she stopped blushing.

"Would you like some drinks. I would suggest the red wine---" began Brielle, but was cut off by Jack.

"We don't drink at work." said Jack gruffly waving her away. "Thank you."

"I'll have your orders ready in fifteen minutes." said Brielle quietly her smile faltering. Why was Jack like this? She squared her shoulders and just as she was about to leave, she gave Jack a look of contempt. She wasn't going to let him ruin her day.

Brielle returned to the kitchen submitting the notes to the chefs as she hurried to serve water to the guests.

Just as she was walking towards the tables, tiny hands grabbed her legs and pulled them backwards. Brielle stumbled, trying hard not to drop the expensive glasses on the tree she was carrying.

She looked down to see a small boy. She recognized him as the son of the snarky woman at her first table. The tiny hands yanked at her stockings, so much so Brielle was forced to come down on her knees and lower the tray to the carpet. She knelt by the small boy and saw tears streaming down his face.

"What's wrong dear?" she asked softly, caressing away the tears on his cheeks. He was schoking back sobs and had flushed a deep red. Brielle wanted to hug him.

"Mom said she'd put my sister and me up for adoption." he cried. "She's remarrying, and she doesn't want us anymore. We have to run away, while she's still at the washroom!"

He must have been only three years old. Brielle picked him up into her arms, tray forgotten and kissed his forehead. 

"No one can send you away love." she said hugging him tight. "Don't cry. I'm sure your Mom didn't mean it."

"You don't know what she's like." he sobbed. Brielle had a good mind to go and tell the woman what she thought of her. Should she call child services?

"There you are!" called a little girl as she rushed up to Brielle and the boy. "Max you shouldn't run off like that."

"Melly!" he said happily jumping down from Brielle's arms and hugging his sister.

"Thank you for taking care of my brother." said Melly curtsying. Brielle had never seen anything so cute. "Can I use your phone please?"

Brielle nodded in surprise and handed Melly the phone. She must have been about five years old, but Brielle saw how deftly she dialled a number from memory.

"Dad?" she spoke quietly. "Mom's putting us up for adoption."

The line went silent for a while then a voice asked, "Where are you? Who's phone is this?"

Melly handed Brielle the phone. "Nice lady? Please talk to Dad."

"Hello?" Brielle said oblivious to the fact that the other customers were fuming at the lack of service. "Sir, your children are at the Renwoft Palace's restuarant. I'm a waitress here."

"I will be there in ten minutes. Keep my children safely with you. Do not let my ex-wife take them away." he said in a stern voice before pleading. "Please."

"Yes, Sir." said Brielle as she disconnected the call. "Max and Melly would you like to sit at the table? Your father will be here in ten minutes."

"No." said Melly firmly as Max nodded. "We have to hide from her."

Brielle thought quickly. The woman, could she really do this to her own children? She spotted the woman with expensive pearl jewellary come out from the Ladie's room.

"Quick, come inside the kitchen." Brielle smuggled them into the pantry and asked them to wait.

"If you want to come out, feel free okay. She won't do anything with so many people around." said Brielle as she left to serve the guests.

"Thanks Brielle." said Melly helping herself to a chocolate pastry. 

Brielle nodded as she returned to the hallways, ready to face their read faced irate mother as well as the irritated waiting customers. She sighed. 

She was going to get fired on her first day. But it wasn't as though she had a choice. The children were scared of the woman, and if she could help them it was worth it. She convinced herself she could find another job.

"You bitch!" yelled the woman wearing the pearl necklace, striding up to Brielle and yanking her name-card out from her shirt. "Where have you taken my kids?"