Chapter 50

Ted felt like Christmas had come early this year. He held the documents close to his chest, as though they were the most prized possession in the world. This was partly true as the papers were worth a few million dollars at least.

His suitcase hung limply from his other arm, as he charged through the streets towards the red bricked building. Several camera's flashed all around him and Ted was reminded of the time before he was disgraced. He allowed himself a smirk, fame had always been a fickle thing.

The paparazzi clamored after him, asking for a statement, demanding answers, or simply pleading for a comment. Ted didn't oblige any of them. He was going to hold a press conference that evening, and he planned to answer all the questions then.

Ted was wearing his best suit paired with his favourite tie. Who care'd that they were horribly mismatched? It didn't matter if the suit was too tight or the fact that his socks were different colours, the only thing the press would be talking about would be the verdict he'd elicit.

He spotted Jack and Brielle standing at the gate waiting for him, anxious looks on their faces. They were both dressed in formal clothes, worry emanating through their tense body language. Brielle looked at Ted quizzically, wondering why on earth the man was grinning when Jack might be sent to prison.

Ted beamed at her as he strode into the large room, full of people. The jury were all seated and the judge was ready. Claire and her lawyers were seated to the left, all of whom snorted and scoffed at the sight of Ted.

Jack bit his lip nervously, as Brielle gave his hand a final squeeze.

"Good luck Jack, Ted." she said softly as she took a seat a little farther away from them.

Ted nodded at the young couple. There was no way he would allow the miscarriage of justice.

They would begin in exactly five minutes. Ted was going to thoroughly enjoy his return to court.

Ted Wilson was back.

***

Dixon Senior and his new wife were barely in time for the final verdict. Heidi was a mess, looking disheveled and harried with worry. Even if she had met him late, Jack was still her step son.

She looked at her husband and prayed that the truth would prevail and she could see Jack and Brielle get married. Her god daughter Trisha, had chosen to accompany them as well.

"I bet that Jack is a sneaky little bastard." said Trisha on more than one occassion. "How dare he do that to Claire! He deserves to rot in jail. Just because he's a millionaire, he had no right to ruin someone's life."

While Trisha had been tactical enough to not say these things in front of Jack's father, she made amply sure that Heidi heard every word. What made the situation messy was the fact that Claire and Trisha were best friends. Heidi sighed. She couldn't expect Trisha to side with Jack, not when she had been so close to Claire all these years.

The three of them took their place at the end of the courtroom as most of the seats weere already full.

Dixon Senior looked smug as he noticed the wide grin on Ted WIlson's face. He knew right away that his son was innocent. Ted was, after all, known to be a stickler for honest clients. He cast Heidi a reassuring smile, while resisting the urge to stick his tongue out at Trisha. When he married Heidi, he knew that he'd have to deal with her loud mouthed god daughter as well. But what was love without a few sacrifices?

***

Axky was pacing up and down the street in front of the courthouse. Paula was sitting on a bench by the pavement, twitching her thumbs and praying. They hadn't been able to muster the courage to sit through the hearing. Axky was so antsy throughout the day that Paula had decided to stay back with him and keep him company.