Chapter 19 - Overdose

Start from the beginning

"Can anybody hear me?" I heard the nurse call out rather loudly, knowing that I was close to her. Making the decision to help her, I walked up to her and said,

"What's the matter?"

"Young man, help...I must speak with Ms. Nightingale at once! One of the brutes stole my key, and there's no one around, I can't get out of here."

"Stole your key? Don't go anywhere, I might be able to do something."

"Oh, quite, thank you, sir. Well, you'll know where to find me, sir. Go on now, sir, I will wait here." Without saying anything, I set out to get her keys back. Wondering around the asylum a little more, I stumbled upon a fourth guard.

"I wouldn't trust any of the doctors here. Especially that Elliotson fellow." Following the sound of his voice, I stealthily made my way up to him, making sure to stay out of sight, something I have gotten better at. "I'm in the wrong line of work." He mumbled out after a few moments. It was at this point that I was closer than before, but still not close enough to get the key. "I wonder why so few patients died this week." Standing directly behind him, I placed my hand over his mouth, stopping him making any sort of sound, while I grabbed the key from his back pocket. Not wanting him to get me caught, I cut of his breathing, only to the point where he fell unconscious, before making my way back to the nurse.

"Here you go." I said as I unlocked the door, which leads out of the asylum, allowing the nurse to escape.

"You have my gratitude, sir. I shall inform Ms. Nightingale that I'll not be working for this asylum ever again!" With that out of the way, I decided to find the patient who is being put through the electroconvulsive therapy by two guards.

After hiding multiple times as I passed multiple guards, I finally found the patient and let me tell you, it wasn't a pretty sight to watch.

"Hold him down, will ya?" The fifth guard said.

"What's wrong with him?" The sixth one said.

"Do I look like a doctor? He's barmy, is all"

"Ah, nothing a little syrup won't cure."

"Haven't you heard? Stocks are low, we can't administer Soothing Syrup without Dr. Elliotson's consent."

"Ah, bollocks." Not wanting to see anymore, I jumped from where I was watching and plunged my kukri into one of the guard's throat while slashing the other across the throat with my hidden blade, ending the therapy. With that out of the way, I walked further into the asylum, eventually stumbling upon what looks to be the morgue.

"Of course not, Dr. Elliotson, it will only take a moment." I looked around the corner and saw one of the doctors talking to Elliotson through the device connected to the wall. Whilst he was busy, I looked around for something that could get me close to Elliotson as possible. It was then my eyes fell on a stretcher.

"Bingo." I said quietly out loud. Making sure that the doctor was still busy, I made my way over to the stretcher and pulled the sheet back, only to gasp at who I saw under there. "(Name)?' I whispered out as I saw the deep gashes on both her arms and legs, as well as the slight twitch of her body every now and then. I placed my hands on her shoulder and gently shook her, hoping to wake her up. It took some time, but her eyes fluttered open, though I can tell she was still disorientated.

"J-J-Ja-cob?" She stuttered out. I let out a sigh of relief and said,

"Damn, someone really did a number on you, but I'm glad that you're ok. What happened?" I couldn't help the worried feeling coursing through my body as I noticed the amount of blood on her clothes. I could see that she was struggling to keep her eyes open and knew it was only a matter of time before she passed out again. With great difficulty, she lifted her arms and placed her hand on my cheek, caressing it ever so gently.

"P-Pl-ease...help me." Her voice went quiet and her hand went limp as her eyes closed, her body exhausting itself to pass out once again.

"Don't worry (Name), I'll get you out of here, I promise." I gave her a kiss on the forehead before picking her up bridal style. Then, I looked around for a place to put her for the time being while I deal with Elliotson. Not long after, I found a spacious area big enough to place her down.

Once she was perfectly hidden, I made my way back to the stretcher and placed the sheet over me, waiting for the doctor to take me to the room where Elliotson is. I didn't have to wait long as the stretcher begins to move not long later.

"Here it is, Doctor." The one pushing the stretcher said to, who I believe is, Dr. Elliotson.

"We will continue our experiment shortly." I heard him say. "In a moment, we will compare the brains of our two specimens. And since both specimens had a propensity towards violent behaviour, we should see similar protrusions in specific part of the brains...hold on, corpses don't have boots." Before he could remove the sheet, I rushed out from underneath it and stabbed him in the head with my hidden blade.

"That's for (Name)." I said.

"At last it ends...Yet I can only think of beginnings...A better tomorrow, forged with the blood of visionaries."

"All I see is the blood of a lunatic."

"Do you truly believe murdering an old man will stop humanity's Great Architect? Crawford Starrick has a glorious design for mankind!"

"Designs are meant to be broken."

"You're a child...A child who believes that he can solve all the world's woes with a flick of the blade...Have you ever pondered the consequences of your actions, Jacob Frye? Or did your father teach you nothing?" Nothing more was said as he takes his last breath.

It was then the students noticed that he was no longer living upon the Earth did they all begin to scream out.

"Help! Help!"

"Guards!"

"My God!"

"Police! Police!" Not wanting to stick around and get caught, I made my way back to the morgue, only to be stopped by two Brutes.

"Well, well, well, what have we here?" The first one said.

"If it isn't the hero. Too bad you weren't here before to save your precious girlfriend before she got hurt." The second one said.

"Boy, can that girl scream. When Elliotson put her through the electroconvulsive session, why she screamed so loud everyone in the asylum could hear her." Not wanting to hear anymore, I slashed the first one across the neck with my hidden blade and then plunged my kukri into the second one's stomach.

"Now then lads, I'm afraid I couldn't make this anymore painful, since you both deserve much worse for what you have done to (Name) but, I'm afraid I must be going. I've got a promise to keep and a girl waiting for me to deliver it." With that, I continued on to the morgue and went to the place where I hid (Name), seeing that no more harm has come to her.

"Don't worry, love, I've got you." I said as I picked her up bridal style once again and begin making my way out of the asylum.