Chapter 18.

[unedited. sorry for any mistakes!]

My house was a disaster.

The yards grass was long and full of weeds, and I could see that some of the curtains had fallen from the windows. The place we kept our trash cans was littered and tossed with garbage, and our whole plantation looked dull, gray and lifeless. It made me realize how important I was to Kyle, and how long I've really been gone.

Everything became deathly quiet after Kenzi turned her car engine off, and it almost startled me with surprise. It was an eerie silence, filled with processing and the occasional outreach to reality, made by me. I had been living inside of my crazed mind for too many days in a row. It felt strange to be in contact with a normal person; a person that was important to my past.

I breathe in the silent air as we sit in silence for a moment. I could tell she knew I was trying to grip this situation, but God, would I ever? I'm so torn and confused. I'll never fully have what I desire.

"You ready?" Kenzi asks with her soft voice. She extends a hand over and grabs onto mine. My icy skin was seeming to unthaw to her warm touch. I just wanted to feel normal again.

Reluctantly I grimace and nod, popping the car door open and stepping outside. We walk to the back door, where I find faded blood prints from the night where Jeff had cut my stomach open. They looked orange and rusty, and I knew no one had tried to clean them off. I don't think anyone ever came here, and I don't think Kyle ever left.

I knock on the door and we both wait silently for Kyle to answer. It felt like ages until I could hear movement within the house. I fretfully look to the windows beside the door. When everything was normal, I would always peek out of those windows before answering, just to see who it was. But the curtains didn't even budge. A sticky lump developed in my throat that I couldn't swallow down, and it made it even more difficult to breathe. At this moment I just felt like turning around and making a run-for-it. I was afraid Kyle wouldn't want to see me; I was afraid of being alone, no matter my location. I felt like I've lost everyone.

The doorknob lurches and twists, and the nervous-butterflies in my stomach became dragons in an instant.

Please, please, please, I chant inside of my head. Please except me. I need you...

The door finally opens, revealing my distraught friend.

He had big, dark bags hanging below his dull brown eyes, and his messy hair stuck up on end. His white t-shirt was wrinkled, dirty, and stained, and he only wore his boxers below. My best friend was a mess.

And he didn't say anything.

He just grabbed me and took me into a tight hug.

Tears began flowing from my eyes, and I could feel Kyle's back tensing an heaving as he began to cry as well. Us two messes just stood at an embrace, crying from many emotions, and being ever so glad to be in each other's lives.

Just then I started to get tiny piercing pains racing up the side of my leg, and I look down to find a little, dirty, yellow kitting climbing up my pants. I was never so overjoyed.

"Weebles! Oh goodness, I missed you, baby!" I squeal, adding him to the hug between Kyle and I.

"Thank you so much, Kenzi," Kyle sobs as he adds another addition to the love fest.

"No problem," she smiles, muffled by our embrace.

We let her go so she could head to work, and told her we'll be sure to see her tomorrow. Soon after, we all go inside.