Chapter 8.

"This is where you'll sleep, Kate." Jeff says with a low, deep voice. It sent an instant shiver down my spine as he guides me into a small back room. In the emptiness sat only a bed in the far back corner, and above it, a little window.

My footsteps creek on the old, wooden floor as I step closer to the bed. Old white bedsheets were the only thing covering the mattress. What if it had bed bugs? Did he sleep on here? Did he sleep at all?

Will I have to share a bed with him?

An uncomfortable feeling led my stomach to twist up in knots.

Drawing in a shaky breath, I look out of the window to find my reflection in the glass. Moonlight was shining against my straight, brown hair, and my hazel eyes looked sleepy from the lack of rest. Just as I started pondering the whole topic of sleep, out of the corner of my eye, I see Jeff behind me, holding a knife.

I turn and face him, smiling with complete fear as he hands the knife to me. "Here, Kate. You'll use this one."

I take the knife from his hand, hesitantly.

It was much heavier than I would've thought. It was large, with a scratched silver blade and a worn black handle. It was so old, that a sick sensation filled me as I thought of how many lives were taken, using this exact knife.

I wanted so badly to drop it; to run away. But I knew in my gut I had to stay, just a little longer so he'll be more thrown off when I escape. I had to be smart about this, it was my only option.

I sit on the bed, switching the knife from hand to hand. I could tell the blade had been sharpened numerous times; it showed around the edges. I sigh. I was tired; I needed rest badly. I wondered, "Do I just lay down? Is he coming in to sleep? How does he sleep? He has no eyelids.."

Before I could think no more, I plopped down on the right side of the bed, not giving a damn about the dustiness. I'm facing a serial killer. I had no time to worry about cleanliness.

My mother would be ashamed of my thoughts...

Only a couple more seconds ticked by as I found myself in dreamland, seeming so innocent to the eyes of any person. How could I ever be a killer?

=^=^=^=

It was still dark as I awoke. I knew it was night or early morning, and that I either slept for only a couple minutes, or I wasted the whole day away. I felt well-rested, so I suppose it didn't matter.

I begin to take in a morning yawn, when it was cut off by a scare.

Someone was laying beside me.

My eyes take shape and adjust, and I notice... It was Jeff.

He wasn't facing me, thank God, and appeared to be sleeping. His back extended and descended as he breathed in a calm, peaceful, and equal way.

From this view, he looked kinda cute when he was sleeping.... If he even was sleeping...

I decided to check.

I reached my arm out and press my hand gently onto his bicep.

Nothing.

I bite my lip with nervousness as I move my hand around, just to make sure he was actually asleep. His arms were hard with muscles, which didn't surprise me much at all. I would imagine they would be. Maybe being a crazed serial killer was a good work out.

I had completely forgotten about the present as my mind wandered elsewhere, and I was frightened with surprise as Jeff started to stir.

I removed my arm and shut my eyes quickly, pretending to sleep as Jeff moves around in the bed.

I held my breath. I was scared. I didn't like the idea of my eyes being closed while there was a serial killer right beside me in the same bed.

When will this be over?

To my luck, as I was lying there, pretending to sleep, a strand of my hair falls down to the middle of my face.

Great.

It was so annoying. I wanted so badly to move it, but I had to stay 'asleep'.

It was then when Jeff moved the hair from my face.

I wanted to smile so bad. That was so sweet. Maybe he wasn't all that bad. Maybe, that even though he snapped, the real Jeff is still in there, way deep down.

I began drooping lower and lower into the bed. Fatigue was fastly coming back.

Ah well. Why not sleep a little more?

I snuggle deeper into the bed and fall back asleep.

=^=^=^=

I had a strange feeling.

As I open my eyes, I come eye to eye with Jeff standing there, watching me. He stood near the doorway, simply standing and glaring, menacingly. He has a knife clenched within his fist, and shiny, fresh blood splatters speckled on his white sweatshirt. I sit up and watch cautiously.

"I see you've slept." he tells me, his eyes scanning my hair. I reach up and feel the ends of my hair sticking up, as if they were reaching towards the ceiling in the most unattractive manner.

I blush and flatten my hair out.

"Well, Kaitlynne. I've got our plans for this evening set out." he says with a casual sigh, placing the bloody knife on the ground and wiping his hands on his pants. I furrow my brows and watch him.

"Tonight we go to Luke's house."

My breath catches itself within my lungs, abruptly cut off with a sickly feeling.

"Wh-What?!" I ask nervously. I started to feel my stomach twist up, and it began to ache with a horrible pain.

He stops and gives me a threatening glare. "He's planning to hurt you, Kate."

"How?" I demand. I didn't want to upset him, but I couldn't stand to have the thought of him hurting Luke.

I mean, I really liked Luke. Plus, he hasn't done anything to me; it wouldn't be right to harm him, let alone anyone else. This wasn't right, and I just couldn't do this. It was way too much to handle. I couldn't even stand this topic floating around in my head.

Jeff clenches his teeth, his strong jaw flexing. "I've been watching you. I know what roams through that pretty little head of yours. So, I decided to check him out, no harm done. He's using you." he says bitterly. "Go to his house like you planned, and kill that son of a bitch. I'll come in to help you when or if you need it. Take it, Kate." He says as he shoves the knife handle into the palm of my hand. Tears formed in my tear ducts and began to rise, but I couldn't let them show. Jeff was watching me.

I slowly wrap my fingers around the knife and grip it tightly. I look up into Jeff's cold eyes and nodded.

"But," I speak up as he starts to walk away. He stops and turns, showing me his strong profile. "If he doesn't try to use me, can I.... can I let him live? Please?"

He creases his eyebrow. "No, Kate. That's not how it works."

He exits the room.

Why did I even ask that? He doesn't have feelings, he's a fucking serial killer!

I sighed and stared at the knife in my clammy hands.

Am I really going to do this?