Chapter Eighteen | Mistake

Start from the beginning

»«

By the end of the next week, Dana had begun to remember a lot. Everything leading up to her time with the Autobots was becoming crystal clear, yet anything and everything that so much as pertained to the Cybertronians remained in a gap. It was as if her mind was intentionally blocking out any trace of them.

"It makes sense." Dr. Jefferson said as he spoke privately with June. "Her brain may be suppressing the memory because of the traumatic injuries that resulted from her interacting with them."

"The Autobots have never tried to harm her." June snapped back, her arms crossed. "It was Megatron, a Decepticon, that hurt her. I would understand if it didn't allow her to remember him, but everything else? I think she just needs a memory jog."

"Perhaps." The doctor replied thoughtfully. "You could introduce her to her guardian again."

"I intend to." The nurse looked towards the window, where she could see the ambulance reside. "But I want her out of that bed and in a wheelchair first. She should be mobile."

"The casts can come off by at least next week." Jefferson promised. "Her bones should have healed by now. They won't be susceptible to breakage again; at least in that area."

"I know." June said wryly. "I've worked on broken bones before."

During that time as well, Team Prime had returned with not just Smokescreen, but Optimus Prime as well. The latter had been given an upgrade by the Forge of Solus Prime, which had mended him whilst he was moments from death. The Autobots were currently in the process of transferring material from the Harbinger to the new base they called home, which was actually another extension of this military base a few miles away.

Ratchet was torn for a long time about whether or not he should return to his Autobot friends, or remain to watch as his charge slowly got better. There was still no sign of a miscarriage, or even a carriage at all, which made the medic uneasy. Something wasn't quite right.

Optimus had assured his old friend that the Autobots could manage without him for the time being, and he was right to focus on his human companion. It ate at the medic too, the secret that he kept. He didn't want to tell his comrades about Dana's potential pregnancy, not yet. Not until it was confirmed officially that the fetus would live.

June Darby finally relented and allowed for the doctor to take another blood test, which so far was being processed by their lab. Results were just moments away, and all parties were apprehensive.

Dana sat patiently in her own room, a little fidgety. There was no way she was pregnant, or even close. She had no boyfriend to be intimate with, much less a guy friend she could even comprehend being attractive while naked.

She was slowly weaning off the morphine as well, the worst of her bruises now faded to a yellow-green color that would eventually disappear altogether, though her face still had some purple splotches.

The young woman had no idea how she was going to tell her parents. June had warned her to not use a phone, especially hers, to contact her family. She was still dodging the question as to what "Autobots" were, and Dana suspected they were the reason she couldn't call. It was honestly a miracle she could even use her phone at all, given the state of her body, but it had survived with only a few dents and a crack across the screen.