Chapter Eighteen | Mistake

"You know this is your biggest mistake,
What a waste, what a waste, what a waste,
And of all the things you never explained,
Well you know this is your biggest mistake."

»«

"I'm not going." Ratchet said firmly, looking at his Autobot compatriots with a set expression. "I need to stay here, with Dana. She could need me."

"Your dedication to the native lifeform is admirable, doctor." Ultra Magnus frowned. "But we need every available Autobot hand on deck."

"To be fair, sir, Ratchet hardly ever accompanied us on missions before." Bulkhead added. "He's our medic after all."

"Regardless," the Autobot pressed. "My original statement still stands."

"As does mine." Ratchet was not in the mood to argue, but he felt that Magnus was giving him no choice. "If there was a place where I monitor your activities like I did before, set up a med-bay, I would be all the more willing. But I am not leaving Dana here, by herself."

"And what is your reason for remaining here, doctor?" Ultra Magnus was starting to become irritated. He was not one to enjoy defiance, especially by a medic of all Autobots. It was also frustrating because Ratchet didn't seem to be understanding the importance of all Autobots. They need every available asset if they planned to take Darkmount.

"I have many reasons." Ratchet didn't bother with the sir this time. "None of which I believe you are obligated to know at the moment. Just understand that she could be in potential danger, and as her guardian, it is my duty to remain here and protect her."

The lieutenant looked like Ratchet had come up and just slapped him in the face. His expression down-turned even more, and his servos curled into fists.

"Due to time constraints, I will put this argument on pause, for now." The medic received a glare, which he gladly returned in kind. "But this conversation is not over with, doctor. Autobots!" Ultra Magnus addressed the rest of the team. "We take Darkmount! Board my ship, and I will provide you with the necessary weaponry."

Arcee gave Ratchet a concerned look as the other Autobots turned and began walking back toward the ship, putting her hand on his arm.

"I know why you are staying." She said softly. "And I fully support the decision, Ratchet. If Megatron were to find out she was alive . . ."

"You should go." He muttered. "Before Magnus yells at you too."

The smaller femme nodded, giving his arm plating a squeeze before she joined her team, the four departing members of Team Prime - including Wheeljack - giving the medic a solemn look.

Ratchet turned his back to them and faced the hospital, transforming into his alternate mode and settling on the ground, unable to help but scoff a little as he rethought his conversation with Arcee.

I know why you are staying.

"That's only the half of it." He mumbled to himself, not caring to watch as the rest of his team departed. As much as he wanted to worry about them, his every thought was focused on his charge, and the tiny life the doctor claimed was struggling to survive inside her.