Chapter 7: Meeting the Pack

Beginne am Anfang

Lea tells me to come in when I knock on her office door but the sight of her mates, Duke and Lore, on either side her has me freezing. They couldn't know. Could they? Lea looks up at me from the chair behind the desk and it takes all I have not to freak out and run. I didn't know what they know yet but it's something. Please don't let it be about me being an Omega. A shudder travels through me as I fight back my powers, closing my eyes. 

"Mace?" My eyes snap open and I see they are all staring at me with concern. My hands tighten into fists at my side as I speak. 

"Yes, Alphas? What did you need of me?" NO! Goddess not now. Fighting to hide my obedient nature I straighten my spine as Lea stares at me. Her eyes meet mine as she speaks. 

"You can't keep doing this Mace. He's gone and it's not your fault. It's been a year." My shoulders slump. Thank you Goddess. This isn't so bad I can cover for this but I don't know how she figured it out. She chuckles and speaks. 

"We're family. That's how I know, brother. There's nothing in this world we wouldn't do to help you." I blink as she repeats words from the song. I smile softly and take the seat in front of the desk. 

"Thanks sis but what did you need to see me for?" She sighs and I watch as Duke and Lore places hands on her shoulders. 

"Queen Riki called. She said she had a vision about you." A lifetime of lying about what I was allowed me to keep my face blank at her words as I force myself to seen calm. 

"Oh?" Simple. Keep it simple. She sighs when I say nothing else and continues. 

"She thinks we've finally located Gremlin's sister." My eyes widen in surprise. Eight years ago a girl had been born and her parents had thought she would be a key element in Weres coming out to the human world but she had died and everyone had lost hope except for Gremlin, her brother. He'd told me about it when we'd gotten drunk one night. So instead of coming out to the entire population we'd come out to the government and people living in Haven, a school for humans, Weres, and Supes. So far we'd been doing okay. Wait, what did she have to do with me? I grimace when I realize their staring at me. 

"Sorry sis I have a headache. What does this have to do with me?" Lea glances over to Lore, one of her two Alpha mates and the only one that's a bear like us, he inclines his head to her before speaking. 

"Queen Riki had us send Phelan and Alpha Liam to meet with them yesterday but she says it's imperative that you meet them at this address. You need to be there by tomorrow. Since your closer to the address than they are you should make it first." I take the piece of paper as I fight back a scowl. I didn't want to go but I would have. I really wish someone would word their demands as questions. I hated this need to obey, to subjugate. Placing a fake cocky grin on my face, I take the paper from his hand and tuck it in my pocket. 

"Whatever you say sis. But did she at least see why I'm needed?" Lea shrugs before speaking. 

"Her exact words were, 'Tell the bear that he knows what she's feeling and he can help her. Maybe it will ease the ache inside of himself. But it's his choice if he wishes to keep hiding, he may." Lea frowns in confusion and I'm glad she doesn't understand the message but I do. Wasn't the girl some kind of special Omega? That means the Queen knew and she'd worded so she didn't give my secret away and gave me a choice. A smile curves my lips as I stand. 

"No prob, sis, I'm on it." I lean over the desk to hug her as she speaks. 

"Good but what did the message to you mean?" I shake my head. 

"Maybe I'll tell you someday Lea but not now. And you better not have those cubs without me here. You better call me if you even get a twinge. I won the pool remember?" She wrinkles her nose at my avoidance of her question as she scoffs at me.