Ten

Angry waves tossed the ship. Cold waves hit like knives as water splashed onto the deck. Un fastened crates slid across the deck.

   I rested my head on Miles as he wrapped his arm around me protectively. I just couldn't sleep. I'll go days a time without a wink and still not want to sleep.

   I wriggled out of Miles's grip. With his jacket still wrapped around me I slowly made my way to the bow of the ship. I sat down next to Abella. She smiled at me "Is, is that your husband?" She asked excitedly.
"No." I sighed.
"Is that I why you are going to America! To get married?"
"No, we're just going home."
"Oh." She said disappointingly "You're a nurse, no?"
"Yes."
"You're uniform, how long you been in it."
I looked at my dress. I looked back up at her. "Come, I have clothes." She smiled.
  She lit a lantern as she walked into the cabin below the ship. It was small but much warmer than the deck. It was a warm room with nothing but a couch and some drawers.
"So do you always travel with your father?"
"No." She said quietly. "Once we get to America, we stay. We must escape, just like you. War make our home unsafe."
"I'm sorry."
"I wish I could be nurse, like you. Me papa will not hear of it. What's your Papa like?"
"I don't know. I never met him."
"What about your Mum?"
"She died when I was 10."
"Oh, you were just a girl. Like me. You were alone?"
"I had friends. Like you."
"I can be your friend?" She said sounding honored. I smiled.
"If you'll let me be yours."
Her face lit up. "Here. Clothes. Change out of that. Friend."

    I did as she commanded. I looked at myself in the mirror. For the past years I only saw a nurse. I let my hair down. Not any more.
"Aw. You beautiful." She smiled holding her hand over her heart. "No wonder you have husband. I kidding, we been over that one."
I laughed as she rummaged through drawers. "This is my mother. She die five years ago when I was 10 too."
I smiled. She looked up through the windows. "Huh." She gasped excitedly "This is my favorite part." She smiled running up the latter. I followed her back to the bow.
  I watched as the sun came up over the horizon. It warmed the earth with its light. I closed my eyes as the heat spread across my face. I smiled as Day brought new meaning to the world. Another day another story I write.