Overrated

Tour was finally over. It was time to see my mom.

I hope she is sober. She has been in the hospital for three weeks. They won't tell me why she is being kept there.

Adam is going to drive us there. We packed out bags, so we could stay at a hotel while we are their.

"You ready? Cause I have the car packed." yelled Adam from the kitchen.

We still haven't been to his house. We are in a hotel right now.

"Ya, just five me a sec." I grabbed the rest of things to put in the car.

"Are you ready for this?"

"Ya, but I'm scared, Adam."

"Don't be, I won't let anything happen to you."

He drove the car while I navigated. The road maps were a little confusing and it raised some arguments every once in a while. But we made it to my town.

"God, i swore to myself, I wouldn't come back."

"We should get a hotel before we go to the hospital." said Adam.

"Alright, yeah."

-------------

After we had unpacked the car, we drove to the hospital. I got shivers, thinking of the last time I saw my parents. Only two months ago. But it seemed like forever.

"We are here for Marie Stevenson." I said.

"Um, and you are?" she was having a bad day.

"I am her daughter."

"Name?"

"Ariel Stevenson."

"The other guy?"

"With me."

"Sorry, but only family can visit."

"I know, he is family. Now what room is she in?"

"Room 217, second floor."

"Thanks for the help." i said as I gave her the middle finger.

Adam chuckled once we walked down the hall.

"What?"

"Nothin, nothin."

We got to room 217. And there she was. My father was no where to be seen, but there she was.

"Um, mom?" I made sure to have a soft voice.

"Ariel, is that you?"

"Ya mom. What happened?"

"I slipped and fell, and the knife I was holding went right through my stomach."

I gave her a look of disapproval. I asked the nurses to leave for a minute

While Adam sat on the chair.

"Mom, don't lie to me. What happened."

"I am not lying. That's the truth." I started to cry, why would she lie to me even when she is like this?

"Mom, I know you are lying. It was him wasn't it. It was dad."

She didn't speak.

"Why would you let him do this to you?"

She started to cry.

"Mom, I have one more question. Were you pregnate?"

Adam got up to stand behind me. But my mother still didn't say anything.

"Mom, were you?"

Her tears were running down her face now. I had never seen her cry like this.

"Oh mom. No, no. Why would he- how could-."

I looked at Adam who had a tear on his cheek. He held me and I held him.

My mom was pregnate, and now, the baby will never see light. I could've been I sister.

"I'm sorry Ariel. I am sorry. I am sorry I was not the perfect mother. I am sorry that I never left him. Now I know why you left. To get away from us horrible people called parents. I wish I had treated you better, I wish I had treated myself better. Now, I will never see your life continue, or see grandchildren of mine, I will never see you get married, and I will never see you be happy. But I know, to make you happy, we must leave."

"Mom, what do you mean you won't see me happy?" she grabbed tube that had been delivering her blood, and pulled it out of her arms.

"Mom, what are you doing?" I started to panic.

"Mom!"

"It's okay hunny, now you can be happy."

"Mom, no, mom, I love you."

"You don't have to pretend anymore sweetie."

She then grabbed all of the tubes running into her veins and pulled them out. Adam grabbed my hand and squeezed it. I squeezed his hand back and my mother looked at me.

"Mom, I really do love you."

"Ariel, you don't have to lie."

And she closed her eyes.

Adam grabbed me to pull me closer to him.

"Mom! I pulled away from him and went to my mom. I grabbed her hand. She was already cold.

I called the nurses in and pleaded them to do something.

"I'm sorry but she is gone."

I kissed her forehead and left.

-----------------

After we left to go to the hotel, I decided to go to my house to grab some of my moms things.

Awhile later, we pull up in the driveway.

I told Adam to stay out here because it's to bad in there and embarrassing. I walked into my room first to make sure I didn't leave anything. I found an empty photo album and some pictures throughout the house. I decided to bring those, finally I got to my parents room. It was horrible. My dad wasn't home, probably drinking. But even without anybody home, there room was creepy. It smelled of alcohol and musk.

I found her jewelry box, I grabbed the necklace she always wore when I was little and out it around my neck. I saw her wedding band and ring and I grabbed them to, she stopped wearing it for a long time.

I finally grabbed the last of the memories that I could. Even though this place was hell for me, its serves as a reminder of what I don't have to go through anymore. I still had scars up my arms but that doesn't matter.

"Ariel." I turned around

"Holy fucking shit. God damnit Adam!"

"Sorry, are you done?"

"Ya, I am."

We left to go to the hotel, this time for real.

When we got there, we heard yelling in the parking lot. Death threatening yells.

Adam pulled me close to him as we walked to the the lobby. We got to our room, which was small. Just like usual.

"How are you feeling?"

"Shaky. Scared, pissed. And tired."

"Okay, we should get some sleep then."

And just like that, we were knocked out.