Chapter 1 ➵ Leap of Faith

I watched with intense anticipation as my father's hand reached for the pen. Sweat was trickling down the side of my brow, as a result of the extended amount of time spent in this boiling office.

Not to mention nerves.

Those were important too, I guess.

I brushed the back of my hand against my forehead, moving a loose strand of my brunette hair away in the process. My mother had always wondered at its natural golden highlights.

My father's fingers made delicate strokes across the paper, staining it with ink, skillfully crafting his signature.

A signature that would change my life.

As he lifted his pen from the paper, it seemed like time went by in slow motion, the movement taking much longer than it should have, as I sat there, cherishing my last moments as a normal kid from a small town in the U.S.

The reality of this decision suddenly fell straight into my lap. The magnitude of this change... it was something that often comes upon one with a great grandeur, but also comes with the consequence of an anxiety like no other.

You want this. I tried to tell myself.

Did I?

Did I really want this?

It was too late either way.

I took a deep breath and looked at my mother. She gazed at me with her kind eyes, and smiled. That look was enough to tell me that no matter what, everything was going to be okay. She would be there.

I tried again, You want this.

I did want this. I wanted the chance to tell the world who I was.

I looked over at my father, hoping for some sort of reassurance, but I was answered with a cold glare at the wall. His eyes bulged and sweat beaded his forehead. He stared with such intensity that I was rather afraid that he would burn a hole through it.

But, of course, my father is not super man.

That would be pretty sick though.

All this to say, this was the day my life changed forever. This rather intimidating document that rested before my family and I sent me off to Europe so that I could study my passion: art and photography.
That day was the most bittersweet day of my life. It always will be.

My principal, Mrs. Johnson, who was sitting across from us at her desk sighed and looked at me. "We are going to miss you here, Amara," she told me.

"Believe me, I will too," I replied as my throat clenched a little, and I whispered, "More than you may know." Then a single tear rolled down my cheek.

Mrs. Johnson took a shaky breath and looked up. "Well now that that's over with, I will send this to the University in the U.K. to let them know of your approval. Remember, everything for Ms. Amara here is paid for, all you have to worry about is getting there."

My mother smiled, while my father continued glaring at the wall. He is one of the strangest men I know, I swear.

"Thank you Mrs. Johnson," she replied. "This means more to us than you can imagine."

"I am glad I could be of assistance," the principal said. "We always knew Amara had a gift, sending her to England was the best thing for all of us." She smiled again, and gazed forlornly into the distance, "She's going to grow up to do something great, you know," not really addressing the statement to anyone.

I just shifted uncomfortably in my seat. I hated compliments, I never know what to say to them, because I always end up coming off as some uneducated idiot when I actually respond.

Thankfully my mother was there. "I'm sure she will."

My father still glared at the wall.

A strange man indeed.

My principal glanced at my father, and leaned over to whisper in my ear, "Someone's not very excited, are they?"

I loved my principal so much for exactly that: she always knew what was going on, without anyone ever having to tell her. I was going to miss her so much.

I gave her a small smile and looked into her kind eyes. "You know, I am still trying to figure him out."

She nodded and then leaned back in her chair. "I wish you the best, Kingsley's. Safe travels and best of luck in your studies, Amara."

"Thanks Mrs. Johnson, tell your kids I said hi."

"I will, thank you."

"No problem," and I stood up to leave the room.

"Amara? One more thing."

"Sure," I said turning around.

"Stay away from the boys in England. You're too pretty for your own good."

My mom laughed, and even a smirk crept upon my father's face.

My heart turned solemn. Her words reminded me just how much I was losing. Even the boys at this school and become my family. Nevertheless, I plastered on a bright smile and said, "You have nothing to worry about, Mrs. Johnson. I don't have any interest in boys right now anyway. Plus, boys are complete butts, I don't need their tricks in my life."

The lies just never stop, do they.

I looked up at my principal and walked over to her, giving her a bear hug, something she wasn't expecting. When I looked up at her, I smiled and said, "Thank you for all that you have done for me these first few years of high school. You are so much more than I could ever ask for. I'm gonna miss you,"

Her eyes went a little puffy and she choked on her words as she replied, "You will be greatly missed, Amara. I don't regret I single thing I have done for you these past two years."

I gave a sad smile and headed to the door, grabbing my practically immovable father along the way. I turned back, "Goodbye," I whispered, tears filling my eyes as I looked at the principal I had come to know and love these past two years.

She gave a solemn wave and I closed the door behind me and my father.

Everything will change from here on out, I told myself.

Indeed it would... just... not how I imagined.

""""""""""""""""""""""
Hello my peoples!!
Fellow humanoids!
Or are you? Dun dun dun!!!!
This is my first book on Wattpad. I hope you are enjoying it so far 😉 I kind of suck at this writing stuff, but I am trying to get better, so any feedback would be appreciated!!!
Updates will come... eventually😏
Keep reading, I promise it gets better ;) I know it's boring right now, but a little more action comes in the next couple of chapters. Sorry for starting off slow. It's kind of like they do it in the movies. The first couple minutes take time to actually let you warm up to the people, plot, etc. I can't promise that updates will come soon, it's the end of the school year so everything is crae crae with finals and study guides and summer stuff. Uuh? Uuh? see what I did there? Crae crae... CraeCraeUnicorn. Oh never mind. Make sure to stay tuned, and comment/vote/share/whatevs. Idk.
Love you all!!
Stay Amazing!!
Thank you for reading!!
Your's truly,
Madelyn