Part 6

Part 6

"I personally think bubble tea is better cold." Penny said, handing Alex over his cup. "But it's winter and hot drinks are a must. Try it."

Alex took an experimental sip of his drink, letting the pearls roll in his mouth before he chewed them. "It's different, but I like it."

"Let me taste." Felix leaned over and sucked on the straw, recoiling in an over exaggerated fashion. "Shit, son, is that pure sugar?"

"No," he said defensively, before adding, "it's the more sugar option."

"I can't believe that's even a thing."

"Well, I'm glad it is," he said, "I need this sugar rush if I'm meant to get through today."

Because Alex had failed to factor in how crowded it would be in London in December. Early Sunday mornings back home and also at uni meant quiet, clear streets and he'd been expecting some increase in foot traffic later but not as soon as they stepped off the tube. It was ridiculously busy and he'd been shoved, stepped on and swept out of the way. It wasn't endearing him to the city.

The drinks, though. Yeah, these he could get behind.

"I knew you'd like it." Penny said, smiling. "Now, how about we go for a walk?"

They went to Leicester Square Gardens because it was close to where they were and Penny had promised him Christmas in London. It was packed full of stalls, more than would ever pop up in Alex's town, and there was so much to see. Alex felt a little overwhelmed by all the choice and he wanted to go to each stall and see absolutely everything London had to offer.

"There's so much stuff here!"

"This is nothing." Felix said. "You wait till we go to Hyde Park."

Still, it was enough to keep them occupied for the better part of an hour. There weren't stalls like this back at home so Alex had flitted about to each one, listening to people talk and watching the demonstrations. There'd been a German stall owner, too, who was selling decorated ginger hearts and sweets and Alex had needed one.

Felix laughed when he saw him holding it. "Cute."

"Here," Alex thrust it at him, "it's a present for you."

He looked down at it in his hands, asking. "Alex, are you giving me your heart? Is this a Wham! song?" And he looked genuinely stricken. "Because you know this won't work out, princess, I'm too wild to be tamed by a boy like you."

Alex punched him. "You know what, I'm taking it back. Penny can have it."

"No!" he held it out of reach, grinning. "There are no take backs here, it's mine."

They'd played keep away enough times so Alex knew he couldn't reach up for the heart. He didn't want it back anyway and he'd rolled his eyes before shoving Felix again and leaving to look for Penny. She was near the front of a queue for waffles and, after she'd been served, she came over to him and offered up the fork.

"What's this?" Alex asked, even as he dug into it.

"Waffle, whipped cream, chocolate and strawberries." She made a noise of appreciation. "It's simple but so good."

He was excited to try it, scooping up a generous amount of cream and chocolate, and that was when Felix came over and grabbed the fork, taking a bite before either of them could stop him. Penny wasn't that far off the mark, though, and she quickly dipped a finger into the cream and across Felix's face. It wasn't that funny but, for some reason, Alex couldn't stop laughing and that set the two of them off as well.