Chapter 14

A/N: Sorry this is so late! Hopefully, the length  makes up for it! Off you go then!

"How is he?" I asked Jasper that evening as we all gathered for dinner in the galley. He'd just gotten back from Sal Hospital where Caius had been taken.

"It was touch and go for a while, but they have stabilized him," he told me.

"Did he say who shot him?" I asked, and Jasper shook his head.

"He wouldn't say anything. I'm not sure if it was because he's scared to talk, didn't know who did it, did something illegal to cause it to happen, or if it's because he knows that I know you."

"Did he say what his plan was when he got released?" Edward asked, and Jasper shook his head.

"I asked one of the nurses to call me when he got released. I may have lied and said I was a concerned friend and that I was afraid he was going to do something stupid and reinjure himself."

"Nice," Edward said with a grin.

"So, he didn't say anything at all? Nothing about why he was out this way?" I asked because I needed answers.

"Sorry, Bells."

"I may have the answer to that," Rose said, her voice full of venom as she slapped some papers down on the table in front of us.

"What's that?" I asked her.

"Phone records. Specifically, Heidi Caius' phone records," she said. "Guess who she's been in contact with for the past ten months?"

"No!" I gasped, and she nodded her head.

"Yup. She's been talking to daddy twice a week for the past two years. She called him right after she landed in Miami, called him right after she had lunch with you, and she called him right after she left Poseidon once the FBI was done talking to her."

"And her mother?" I asked through gritted teeth.

"No calls from her to the ex. I'm not sure she knows just how much her daughter is talking to Caius."

"That little bitch!" I muttered. She'd seemed so innocent, but it turns out that she had played us. I'd bet anything she tipped him off and let him know the FBI was looking for him. Although, we hadn't mentioned coming out toward Cape Verde, so I wasn't sure how she'd figured that out, and I mentioned that as well.

"Could she have planted a bug?" Alice asked from behind us.

"Maybe," I said with a shrug. "She was in the conference room with us for several hours. I guess she could have put a bug in there."

Anger flashed across Jasper's face, and he excused himself to make a phone call.

"Maria? We've got a problem," he said. I'd forgotten that his sister was one of the FBI agents in charge of this case.

I could hear him talking to her down the hall, but I focused on what Rose was showing us.

"See this?" she said, pointing at a line on the paper. "This is the last call made from Heidi's phone which you can see was just twelve hours ago. I did some digging and discovered its last GPS location was Sao Filipe, Cape Verde."

"What the fuck is going on?" I muttered, tugging on a strand of hair that had fallen loose from my ponytail.

"I don't know, but I can guarantee that Jasper is doing his best to find out."