Chapter 7

A/N: Thanks so much for all your patience and not yelling at me for not getting this up last week. My beta had a death in the family.

 Thanks for the reviews from last chapter. I'm glad you all seem to be enjoying the story because I'm having fun writing it. Now, I'm off to watch reruns of QI (a British panel show that everyone should watch).

............................

"Let me look at you," my mother said as we met in the parking lot of the Blue Whale Seafood Oyster Bar, one of the most expensive restaurants in Miami. When she'd called two days ago, I had suggested some lesser expensive places, but she had insisted on eating here. Thinking about what a meal here was going to cost me had me wincing because there was no way in hell she and Phil would be buying my meal. Phil was a tightass when it came to spending money on others.

"You're looking a little thick around the middle," she commented after giving me a thorough look over, and I rolled my eyes.

"I'm well within my weight range for someone of my height and stature," I replied, trying to keep my voice calm.

"Hmph. Well, it wouldn't hurt you to lose a few pounds. Perhaps, you should just have a salad for dinner."

"Perhaps, I should just leave," was my reply, and she glared at me.

"We drove all the way over here from our hotel to meet you, and now you want to ditch us?" she asked, completely outraged.

"I didn't want to eat here, remember? I offered several choices that were closer to your hotel, but you insisted on dining here. Since you're here, why don't you and Phil go have a lovely dinner, and I'll talk to you later."

"God, you're such a drama queen," Mother said, and I shook my head. I should have known this was going to happen.

"Goodbye, Mother. I would say it was nice seeing you again, but it wasn't," I told her as I turned around and walked toward my truck, that clearly stood out in the parking lot full of Mercedes' and BMW's.

I could hear my mother calling my name, but I ignored her, starting the truck and then driving off.

Since I was starving, I stopped by Popeye's Louisiana Kitchen and got myself a bucket of spicy chicken with a side of jambalaya, mashed potatoes, and coleslaw. It was a ton of food, but it would keep me fed for the next few days that I now had off. Although, I was thinking about going in to work anyway just for something to do.

Once I got home, I ate my chicken in my fancy dress while watching a crime show. I was in the middle of chewing when there was a knock on my door, and I let out an annoyed breath as I put my food down to check and see who was on the other side.

Peering through the peephole, I saw Rose and Emmett, so I unlocked the door to let them in, thinking that I wouldn't have any leftovers to eat later in the week.

"Hey, Little B," Emmett said, walking into the living room before giving me a fist bump.

"Hey, Em," I said before turning to Rose with a raised eyebrow.

"I had a feeling dinner with your mom wasn't going to go well, so I came bearing gifts," she said holding up a plastic grocery bag and pulling out a six-pack of my favorite hard cider.

"You are an amazing best friend," I told her as I took the alcohol from her and put it in the fridge to chill along with the six pack of beer she'd brought.

"Can I have a drumstick?" Emmett hollered from the living room, and I snickered.

"Emmett, you just ate a whole pizza! How can you still be hungry?" Rose asked.