The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 22

Start from the beginning

            “I thought I was dead… I thought she killed me.”

            “It was the poison. It gave you a fever and nearly put you into a coma.”

            “How long have I been out?”

            “Four days.”

            She gulped, “How is everything.”

            “The same as you last saw it. When I came, she fled.”

            Realization struck her then as she looked back into his eyes becoming lost in a daze, “You saved me…”

            “I only did for you as you would do for me. Despite what you say Anaela… I can see it in your eyes.”

            “I…”

            She shifted in his arms before scrambling out of them. Her body was still weak and she nearly collapsed if Searon hadn’t caught her. With a glare at him she welcomed his help only long enough to climb back atop the bed.

            “Arria’s dagger was laced with poison. I know poisons don’t usually affect elves… but she’s done something to it.”

            Anaela bit her lip as she stared at the ceiling in silence. Searon couldn’t help but stare at her soft lips. He was eager to push his lips upon hers but he knew she didn’t feel the same way. There was something about her that pulled him towards her that he didn’t understand. It almost felt like the gravity that held him to the ground. Yet, when he was around her the gravity seemed to cease to exist. Even though he wasn’t floating into the atmosphere it felt like he was in his chest.

            “Something doesn’t feel right Searon.”

            “What is it?”

            He reached his hand out to touch hers and to his surprised she welcomed his hand in hers. Her warmth spread through his body like a wildfire that had long ago lost control. A smile spread across his chapped lips that he quickly hid as she turned to him. There was a serious look on her face that appeared as if she were still contemplating what had happened.

            “Why would Arria attack with such a small force? What does she have to gain from certain failure?”

            Searon pondered on it only a moment before his eyes widened to look back at Anaela.

            “Time.” He whispered.

            “She will be back with a stronger force now that she knows we are weak.”

            “We are not weak.”

            “Yes… Searon, we are. We have lost our king and she hit our spell casters hard. She tried to focus the strongest warriors after that.”

            “True, but she failed to defeat you.”

            “She would not have if it weren’t for you.”

            Her free hand came up to graze Searon’s cheek before sliding above his ear to gently tug at his thick hair. He flinched slightly before closing his eyes to inhale while tilting his head back. Shivers sprang across his body and down his spine. Yet, he was in absolute comfort while she touched him. Suddenly her hand withdrew swiftly and she turned away blushing. 

            “You only look more beautiful when you blush.”

            She turned back to him with a glare releasing the color from her cheeks back into the pale skin of an elf. Yet she was not as pale as her sisters because she was a wood elf. She was the only wood elf Searon had ever seen and he wondered if all were as beautiful as her. He quickly dismissed such nonsense knowing that none could be as beautiful as she. None… except Victoria. The name hung in his head but he chose not to dwell on it. Since Anaela had been on his mind he had not thought much about his past love. He did keep Victoria close to his heart but he had finally moved on. Deep inside he knew that she would only want him to move on and be happy. There would be no happiness for him until Anaela returned the feelings he held for her. Still, he was not unhappy, only content.

            “We need help to defeat her next attack.” Anaela whispered.

            It irritated Searon only slightly that she disregarded his comment to bring the subject back into place. At least she had blushed at his way with words but he still wished she would speak with him about it. The built up passion he held for him was burning his insides where every time he was around her he felt hot to the touch.

            “We can reorganize our defenses and defeat no matter how many draeyks or daerions she floods our way.”

            “Searon.” She looked up to him with fear touching her eyes. “What if it isn’t only draeyks and daerions this time? What if the dark wizard returns with Arria? What if they return with an army of nacropis’s? The same army that Andron swore that he saw brewing. They stay hidden as we saw none when the city was attacked.”

            Searon gulped as realization struck him and he closed his eyes while his head sunk. He did not know how he had not seen it before. Well, he did know, he was blinded by happiness with seeing Anaela awake once more. He hadn’t even considered another attack until she spoke of it.

            “Who can we turn to? My brother is across the county, we would be too late. Are there more elves?”

            “I do not know where my ancestors have hid after the years. It would take too long to search even for me when I know the forest and how they live. Wood elves become one with the forest and their homes and city would be transparent in this wilderness. It would only be seen if they wish for us to see it.”

            “Who else is left to turn to?”

            “I know of one. It is risky and almost impossible to convince their kind. Everything to them is a game and they cower away from battle even though they are excellent warriors.”

            “Perhaps we should make our need a game.”

            “Precisely what I was thinking.” Anaela smiled.

            “What are they?”

            “Faeries.”

            Searon’s eyes lit up and his mouth closed for a moment to process the information. “So they are more than just a children’s tale. You are right about risky… and dangerous.”

            “I know… but it may be our only hope.”