The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 32

Chapter 32:

[Starlyn’s POV]

            Everything surrounding Starlyn flashed into a series of blurs. She didn’t know how far they had traveled or in which direction. Her confidence was in both Charlotte and Snowflake to her to her designation. Long ago she confided in Snowflake where she wanted to go, where she needed to go. Her chance of survival was slim, but if she could figure out exactly what was going on with her than perhaps there would be a chance. However slim it was, it was all she had to hang on to. Her mother had no hope, and she only hoped that if it would ever affect any other elves that perhaps she could find the cure.

            Charlotte had been such an immense help to her across the journey. Starlyn wasn’t sure how many days they had been traveling, but Charlotte had made sure she was both fed and had something to drink. She didn’t know how she could ever thank the child for the hospitality she showed.

            Starlyn’s eyes focused in as a village came into view. She tried to adjust herself on Snowflake so she didn’t appear as sick as she felt. Charlotte held her up as best as the little girl could as they reached the gates. The village wasn’t well guarded but the wooden gates seemed sturdy and the guards flashed suspicious glances to both her and Charlotte as they got off of the tiger. She assumed it would not be easy to explain to humans about Snowflake.

            “Welcome to Tiermerra my ladies.” A guard wearing studded leather armor said.

            “May we enter and gain some rest. My mistress grows weary from the travels, and if we are to catch up to the rest of our act for the grand finale of our show we will require some rest.” Charlotte said.

            The guard nodded in understanding, but he still kept a careful eye on the tiger. “Of course, there is a fine inn called ‘The Exotic Beast’ down the main road on the right. I’m sure they will get a kick out of your presence.”

            “Thank you.” Charlotte said as she led Snowflake past him.

            Starlyn walked slowly and carefully behind Charlotte, stepping carefully to avoid being noticed as weak, especially around human men, whom seemed to have a reputation of taking advantage of weak women. She tried to appear as if her slow posture was because of her lack of sleep and tiredness from the journey rather than her weak frame, and she kept her face hard to appear more of a threat than worth dealing with.

            They walked the streets towards the inn, and Starlyn couldn’t help but to notice traces of burnt buildings and places that had been rebuilt in the recent years. It was as if much of the original village had been destroyed, but rebuilt by those whom wouldn’t abandon it. Many homes and shops held traces of new boards or stones in place of where others had been destroyed, giving the village a very patchy feel to it, and some form of comfort that Starlyn didn’t quite understand.

            Inside the inn they walked up to a middle aged round man with a thick curling black mustache, cleaning the bar with a rag, and muttering under his breath. His eyes grew wide as he looked from Starlyn to the tiger, nervously backing up a pace.

            “”Wh- what can I do for you mi-lady?”

            “One of your finest rooms,” Starlyn said, slapping down two golden coins.

            “Of course.” He chimed, tossing out a key with the number 37 engraved on the front.

            Starlyn turned and began walking with Charlotte close by her side. She watched the serving maids as they brought drinks to the patrons, many of them jumping at the pinch of a bottom, but most unconcerned with the act.