Chapter 7: New Beginnings

Author's Note: All right, guys, this is it! This is where the world of Harry Potter is introduced! No, we don't get to meet him just yet - that won't be for a few chapters yet - but this will give you a small taste of what life for Sarah is going to be like from now on. You know the drill by now; read, comment, votes would be appreciated, and check out my other stories. Thanks, guys!

Chapter 7: New Beginnings

Qui-Gon ushered Anakin quickly through the crowded streets of Mos Espa. The boy seemed depressed and excited at the same time. He felt so guilty for bringing this upon him, but it had been his choice to train to be a Jedi. Try to train, he corrected himself. He still wasn't certain the Council would let him train the boy.

Suddenly he heard a noise like a crack in the wind. He held Anakin's shoulder as he stopped, looking around warily. "Qui-Gon, sir?" Anakin asked. "Is everything all right?"

Qui-Gon didn't answer immediately. He searched for the source of the noise, but he couldn't find it. Casting one last wary glance over his shoulder, he turned back to Anakin. "Yes, Ani, everything is fine," he replied. "I must have just imagined it."

"Imagined what?"

That voice had not been Anakin's. Whirling around, he threw his arms out to shield Anakin while searching for the source. Finally he saw an ancient man standing in front of him. He was much older than Qui-Gon, and he wore long purple robes despite the heat. His silver beard and hair were down past his belt, and his piercing blue eyes twinkled merrily behind half-moon glasses. He raised his hands in surrender, a smile playing on his lips. Qui-Gon squinted at him. He seemed vaguely familiar....then it hit him.

"Albus?"

The man smiled broadly. "It's good to see that you still remember me, Qui-Gon."

Relief flooded through him, and he rushed forward to embrace his old friend. Anakin looked at them both, confused at what was going on. Qui-Gon decided to ignore him for the time being, though; he was very confused why Albus would show up here of all places. "What are you doing here?" he asked. "I thought you were back on Earth running your school."

Albus sighed. "I still am running the school," he explained, "but I have....business to attend to here."

Qui-Gon's eyebrow shot up. "Business?"

"A young girl brought here six years ago, raised by one of the locals. I'm here to bring her to her proper family."

He gulped as his heart sank. He knew exactly who Albus was talking about, but he sincerely hoped that he was wrong.

Albus studied him carefully, his intelligent blue eyes piercing him behind those half-moon glasses of his. "Do you know where I might find this girl, Qui-Gon? I can see that you know who she is."

"I have....suspicions."

"I'm sure."

Qui-Gon sighed. He hated to do this to Shmi, especially right after she'd lost her only son. However, he knew Albus well enough by now; he wouldn't do something without a good reason. Sarah did need to be brought up by her proper family - that was reason enough. Feeling extremely guilty, he looked into the patient but scrutinizing eyes of his friend. "She's just down the street, fifth house from the right."

Albus nodded in both acknowledgement and gratitude. It was only then that he seemed to notice Anakin. The poor boy was staring at him, shock and confusion written all over his face. Anakin turned to Qui-Gon, hoping for an explanation. "Anakin, this is my friend Albus Dumbledore, a wizard from the planet Earth." Anakin's eyes widened on the word 'wizard' as Qui-Gon continued. "Albus, this is Anakin Skywalker, adopted brother of the girl you're searching for."