Chapter 9: Meeting Harry

Author's Note: Hey again, everyone! I know a lot of you are waiting for another update on Living in the Past, but I have been inspired to keep updating this story, so I am going to make you guys wait just a little bit longer. This chapter goes out to LozzaBradford because she is the ONLY person who has commented on this story (not kidding, literally the only one who has commented). So many thanks to her wonderful comments - they have inspired me to keep going with this story. I have a feeling you'll really like this one. ^_^ Enjoy!

Chapter 9: Meeting Harry

Sarah stared out the train window, fiddling with her stiff uniform for what felt like the four millionth time. The weeks had passed quickly since she had been accepted into Dudley's school, and now here she was, on her way to Surrey for the first time. She smoothed her starched skirt yet again, but no matter how many times she did, it never seemed to stay down the way she wanted it to. Then again, she was probably just picky about her appearance because she was nervous. What if the Headmistress decided that she wasn't good enough to go to school? What if the teacher was mean? What if something embarrassing happened - or, worse, what if her special "powers" acted up again and she wasn't able to control them - and everyone laughed at her or called her a freak?

Stop it, Sarah, she thought fiercely. None of that is going to happen, not today. You're just getting yourself worked up over nothing, like always. Everything is going to be fine. Letting out a heavy sigh, she laid her head back against the seat's headrest, careful not to mess up her hairstyle. Since today was the first day she was going to school, she had decided to pull her hair back in an intricate braided twist that Shmi had taught her. She had been so excited for today - her school supplies had been gathered and put into her backpack weeks in advance, and her clothes had been laid out the night before.

She closed her eyes for a few moments before opening them again and staring at the ceiling. She was still excited to go to school for the first time in her life, but she had been on this train for well over an hour already, and she was starting to get bored. Finally, she reached into her pocket and pulled out a fairly crumpled piece of parchment - the same one, in fact, that had been attached to the leg of the barn owl that had crashed in her aunt's living room. Gingerly, she unfolded it and read the same words that she had read so many times during these past few weeks:

Dear Sarah,

I hope you are well, my dear. A few of my close friends have been keeping an eye on you, and they have said that despite some difficult changes you are experiencing, you seem to be doing very well. However, I feel it is always better to have information from the source. I am certain you are curious as to the well-being of your foster mother and brother. Shmi Skywalker is well, as is Anakin - they are sad at being separated from each other and from you, but otherwise they are doing just fine.

Now, on to other news. I understand that congratulations are in order for your acceptance to your cousin's school in Surrey. The staff at the school I run also wish me to convey their congratulations; you are quite well-known by my colleagues here, and someday soon, you and another boy like you will be asked to attend. However, until that time comes, I must urge you to listen to your aunt. I know how hard it is for you to be in a new place, separated from your loved ones, and I am sorry for putting you into that situation. However, in due time, I am sure you will understand that it was necessary, and I do hope you will be able to forgive me for that.

Have a wonderful school year.

A. Dumbledore

P.S. - I am terribly sorry to hear about Qui-Gon. He was a dear friend of mine and shall be missed.