Chapter 6: Goodbyes

Author's Note: First, I bet you're all tired of hearing me say this, but I will be posting a new chapter of Living in the Past soon. In fact, I will probably be posting sometime either tonight or tomorrow night. I am SO SORRY for the long wait! Please do not kill me! Second, this chapter is basically the end of the Star Wars section of this story. There will be other parts later on that are incorporated, but after this the story will mainly focus on the Harry Potter portion.

Chapter 6: Goodbyes

Sarah walked home silently with Shmi, Anakin, and C-3PO, carefully watching Anakin from the corner of her eye. He was definitely still ecstatic from winning the race, but it had worn off a bit, chased away by sadness. She knew why he was sad, though. He was trying to come to terms with Padme leaving. However, Sarah couldn't exactly blame him - she had to admit, it had startled her, too. They hadn't really given much thought to the fact that if Anakin won the race, then that would be the last time they would see Padme, Jar Jar, and Qui-Gon.

She felt herself tearing up at the thought of Qui-Gon leaving. No, she thought angrily to herself, don't you dare cry over him. He would want you to be happy for Ani's sake. Still, it was hard. Apart from Anakin, Qui-Gon was one of the only people who really understood her and did not criticize her for her situation. A memory of her dream flashed through her mind, and she saw once again the red-haired woman screaming as a flash of green light hit her in the chest. Shaking her head to clear it, she hurriedly pushed that thought from her mind. She couldn't break down now. Anakin needed her to be strong. He would need someone that he could talk to about losing Padme, the woman he so desperately loved (even if he was only nine).

The second the three of them reached the house, Anakin took C-3PO into his room and didn't come back out. Ten minutes passed, and when he still did not reappear, Shmi sent Sarah in to go find him. "I don't know what he could possibly be doing in there," she muttered to herself as Sarah bounded back into their bedroom.

Timidly, she peeked into the room. Anakin was sitting on their bed with his back towards her, fiddling with something in his hands. He always did that when he was upset. She felt so bad for him. Taking a deep breath, she walked quietly into the room and sat down next to him. He was so upset that he didn't even look up at her. "Ani?" she asked shyly, not wanting to disturb him. "Are you all right?"

Anakin sighed and stopped tinkering with the object he was holding, but he still didn't look up. "No, I'm not." His voice was barely audible, but she still heard every word.

Sarah put her arm around him and hugged him close. He didn't resist her. Tears began to trickle down his face, and soon his whole body was shaking with sobs. She said nothing to him, letting him get it all out of his system before she tried to talk to him. When at last he seemed to calm down a little, she tilted his chin up with her finger. His eyes were even brighter than usual from crying and his cheeks glistened in the half-light.

"It'll be okay," she said. "Just give it some time. You'll see." Then she hugged him fiercly, the two of them staying in that embrace for a few moments.

Anakin pulled away again and smiled weakly at her. "Thanks," he said, sniffling. "I needed that."

Sarah smiled at him, then stood up. "Come on, mister," she said, pulling at his arm. He didn't budge.

"Where are we going?"

"A walk around the town. We need something to get our minds off things at least for a little while." Then without another word she bounced out of the room.

Anakin laughed for the first time that day. Sarah was so silly sometimes. It made him forget the harshness of life. "Are you coming or what?" she called back to him, her voice taunting.