C H A P T E R 5

Reality Bites Me

"'A' sent this letter to my mom." Aria looks at the letter written about her dad cheating on her mom as we sit in Spencer's house because her parents are still in New York.

"You know it's not your fault, right? It's your dad's mistake, totally." I try and assure her.

"No, it is my fault." She sighs.

"You did not hook up with her and then ask your kid to cover for you." Spencer agrees with me.

"Ali said I should've told my mom right after it happened." Aria says.

"Ali?" Emily enquires, "Alison knew?"

"Yeah, she was with me." Aria sips her tea.

"So, Alison saw this Meredith person?" Spence checks.

"Meredith? Her name is Meredith." Hanna's eyes widen, "Ew. That's not even a cute-girl name, I'm seeing big pores and mousy roots."

"Hanna, I think it's a little too soon to joke." I warn her to keep her mouth shtum.

"I'm sorry, but if you're gonna cheat, you might as well do it with somebody who deep-conditions her hair occasionally." She raises her perfectly shaped eyebrows.

"Here, put something in your mouth besides your foot." Spencer hands her a plate with a bagel on it.

Hanna turns back around to Aria and looks at her sincerely, "I'm sorry. Okay? Look, all I'm saying is that when my dad left, laughing sometimes helped. So did crying."

"My father hasn't left, guys. I mean, this happened over a year ago." Aria get off the couch and joins us at the breakfast bar, while we all avoid her eye. "You think he's gonna leave?" Her tone turns to a worried one.

"Look, whatever happens, we're here for you." I don't answer her question, I just show her support.

"Thank you guys for staying here, I couldn't have been here alone." Spencer shakes her head, thinking about A writing on the mirror in her room.

"When's your family getting back?" Han asks her.

"This afternoon."

"Aren't you gonna clean off the mirror before they get here?" Aria suggests that it needs to be done and Spencer looks at each of us with a 'I don't want to, I'm scared' expression.

"Want me to come with?" Emily offers for moral support and her face softens before nodding and they start to her up.

"We should all go." Aria stands up too and I follow her lead.

"Uh, yeah, you know what? It doesn't take four of us to clean a mirror, so why don't you four go, and I'll just wait here." Hanna mumbles, scared to go upstairs.

"Fine. Okay." Aria nods, "you stay down here, alone, but make sure you lock the door."

"Great." Hanna nods realising she has to go with one of the options, "you spray, I'll wipe." She gets up and runs to us, stopping in her tracks when her phone beeps.

We all stop and look back at her nervously.

"Well, the creature's back." Han says. "We should've never unblocked our phone."

We all look over her shoulder to read the text;