+ Chapter Twenty Three +

Blaise entered the room quietly, sitting next to Sophie. He was wearing all black, something he wasn't used to. Sophie was dressed in a black dress with a sweater on top of it. He gave her a tight lipped smile.

"I've never been to a funeral," he whispered.

Sophie turned to him, surprise written across her face. "Never?"

He shook his head. "Both of my grandparents are young and healthy."

Sophie didn't answer, making Blaise wonder if she'd heard him.

"I didn't go to my grandparents' funeral. I went to my older brother's."

Blaise's body froze. "Your brother?"

Sophie nodded. "Yes. He died from a high fever when he was eleven. I was eight at the time, so I don't remember it too well."

Before Blaise could offer some comfort, Draco approached him and Sophie, Hermione behind. He grimaced at his friend's appearance: he looked awful. There were prominent bags under his eyes and his hair was sticking out everywhere

"Blaise," Draco said, giving him a clap on the shoulder. "Thanks for coming."

"Of course, Draco. We're best mates."

"Who is this?" Draco gestured to Sophie, who blushed under his gaze.

"Oh, sorry for not making introductions. Draco, Hermione, this is Sophie Roper. She was a Hufflepuff in our year."

"Pleased to finally meet you two," Sophie shook their hands. "And Draco—"

"No need to say anything," he interrupted. "Thank you for coming. I truly appreciate it."

The four of them stood there in silence, not knowing what to say. For what does one say to someone at a funeral?

"Well, we better go greet more people. We'll see you two later," Draco said.

"Lovely to meet you!" Hermione exclaimed to Sophie.

After they were out of earshot, Sophie cleared her throat. "She's very good for him."

"What do you mean?" Blaise asked. He agreed, he just wanted to know what she thought.

"Well," she said thoughtfully. "I don't remember Draco too well, but I remember he was known for being rude at Hogwarts. And the man I just met was very polite. And the way he was looking at Hermione...it was like he was silently thanking her for simply being there beside him."

Blaise was surprised by how much Sophie picked up on from a first impression. "I don't talk to Draco as much anymore, but I can definitely tell you he likes Hermione. She...she helped him find his father."

Her eyes lit up in understanding. "That was very kind of her."

Their talking was cut off with the start of the funeral. Blaise felt his heart clench at how fragile both Narcissa and Draco looked while giving their speeches. It was a very odd thing to see—two of the most powerful and confident people in the Wizarding world becoming broken.

He wished he could take away their grief. And based on the look on Sophie's face, he knew she felt the same way.

¥

Ron wiped his palms on his pants, trying to stay calm.

Today was the day Vivian was going to meet his parents and George. He'd invited Ginny out to lunch too, but she was at Lucius Malfoy's funeral with Harry. He'd been annoyed by that, but tried to brush it aside.