+ Chapter Seventeen +

"And where is she now?"

Ron groaned at his mum's question and tried not to roll his eyes. He was sick of talking about Lavender Brown; a girl he'd once dated to try and make Hermione jealous.

Boy, did he regret that.

"I dunno, Mum. I left her room after I realized who she was. I'm not dating her; if that's what you're implying."

His mum snorted. "I should hope not! But anyway, Ron, that's not the point. I don't care how much you dislike her- you can't just... be with Lavender and claim you still have feelings for Hermione."

Her name left a dull pain in his chest he was still trying to get rid of. "I know. I didn't mean to be with Lavender. I woke up and had no idea where I was."

She raised an eyebrow in a mixture of confusion and amusement. "So you're admitting to being drunk as a giant?"

Ron nodded. "Yeah, I am. Because I'm not going to lie; Mum. I've been miserable as hell lately. I know you and Gin keep telling me to let Hermione go and be happy with... Malfoy. But it's so damn hard. He was my enemy! He was such a prick to the three of us at Hogwarts! Why doesn't anyone else remember that?"

He flushed in embarrassment as his anger came bubbling to the surface. He couldn't help it. He was still beyond angry that his ex girlfriend had fallen for Malfoy, out of all people.

"Ron," his mum said softly. "It's not that Ginny, Harry, and Hermione forgot about Draco's old ways. It's that they've pushed that aside upon realizing that he's changed. He's changing for the better because of Hermione's influence. He might not have been the nicest teenager, but everyone deserves a second chance, right?"

At the words second chance Ron felt his heart sink.  "A second chance? If everyone deserves a second chance, why didn't I get a second chance to be with Hermione?"

His mum fell silent, and he could feel her pity wash over him.

"I think you were already given your second chance, Dear."

¥

Harry pressed his fingers into the buttons of his cell phone, half hoping Hermione would answer. If she was where he thought she was, however, he knew she probably wouldn't.

"I can't believe I didn't think of it sooner," Ginny mumbled for the tenth time since leaving Hermione's. "How could I have been so stupid!"

"You're not stupid, Mummy." Teddy frowned at Ginny's tone and held her hand.

"Please pick up," Harry muttered under his breath. The line kept ringing, and just when Harry was about to hang up he heard someone answer.

"Hello? Harry?" Hermione's familiar voice said. He sighed in relief.

"Hermione, where are you?" he asked, cutting right to the chase.

"I'm at the Ole Wizards n' Witches Treatment Center with Draco. He...he was allowed to go see his father."

Harry felt his eyes widen in shock- based on her voice, he knew Hermione was just as shocked as he was.

"Wait- Lucius wants Malfoy to visit him? When did this happen?"

"Just now," she said. He could tell she was in disbelief as well. "We got here and the man at the front desk said, well, apparently Lucius wants Narcissa and Draco to visit before he's gone."