+ Chapter Fifteen +

The small ray of sunlight streaming across Ron's face made him realize his head felt heavier than a bag of boulders. He crossed his arm in front of his eyes to block out the brightness and winced. After blinking once or twice he finally opened his eyes only to frown at his surroundings.

Where was he?

Feeling much more alert, Ron sat up in bed and glanced around the room. That wasn't his closet, those weren't his shoes lined up by the door. The light shade of purple that covered the walls reminded him of someone...

Just as he was about to put on his clothes and leave, the sound of footsteps came from outside in the hallway. Ron panicked, slamming his stuff back onto the ground and sliding under the covers to appear sleeping. He wasn't quite ready to face whoever held him hostage over the night.

Ron tried to even out his breathing, but found it was still coming out shallow and unsteady. He heard the door creaking open and someone coming to stand near him. There was a length of silence, causing his heartbeat to slow down until suddenly there came an alarmingly loud screech from inches to his right.

"Won-Won! You're finally awake!"

Ron felt his heartbeat stop, his mind not daring to believe what his ears told him.

"Oh, bloody hell."

¥

Cumins shut the door quietly after checking in on a patient. Poor Mrs. Greendale. No children, no husband, no siblings. She was the only one left of her family. If she didn't fight that illness, she might be the last of her bloodline.

He was about to walk back to the front desk when he noticed a light coming from under Lucius Malfoy's door.

That's odd, he thought. Why would he have his light on in the middle of the day?

Cumins walked over to the door, pressing his ear against the surface. Nothing but silence. Was the man still sleeping?

Finally, he turned the knob gently, opening the door soundlessly.

Lucius Malfoy was lying flat on his back, his arms glued to his sides. His chest still rose up and down, but his breathing was dangerously shallow. The man was going to be dead any day at this rate.

Cumins hesitantly moved to the side of the bed, wanting to help Lucius but not knowing how.

Lucius' eyes slowly rolled over to see him standing there, and Cumins couldn't gauge his mood.

"Cumins," Lucius said ever so softly.

"Y-yes, Sir?"

There was a long pause in which Lucius turned his head to rest on the side, his eyes closing. Cumins' heart leapt into his throat, thinking the man died.

But then he spoke, his voice sounding weaker than ever.

"Bring Narcissa and Draco here as soon as possible. I want to see my wife and son before I go."

Cumins felt his eyes widen at the change in request.

"A-are you sure, Sir?"

He expected Lucius to snap at him, maybe get annoyed.

But all he did was nod once, and that's when Cumins understood just how ill the man was.