+ Prologue +

Three Years After the War

Hermione was curled up on the couch intently reading a book titled History of Gringotts when a loud tapping on the window to her right startled her. It took her a moment to recognize the owl as one from the Weasley household, since the night sky obscured her vision.

"What have you got there?" she asked kindly, letting the owl inside. It perched on top of the cabinet to rest and eat a snack as Hermione detached an envelope from its leg. It gave her a friendly coo before flying off into the night.

She settled back onto the couch and opened the envelope gingerly. Her heart seized up upon seeing the familiar handwriting covering the piece of paper.

Hermione-

I'm sorry, but I can't come back today. I'm not ready yet to talk to you without losing my temper. I'm sleeping at the Burrow until the time is right. Please don't be too angry with me.

-Ron

She read over the sloppily written note multiple times before crumpling it in frustration and hurling it across the room. The bloody bastard! She pinched her eyes closed and tried her best to relax. As she did so, her mind wandered.

She'd had a crush on Ronald Weasley since their Fourth year at Hogwarts. Although she'd initially hated him and always preferred Harry's company, there was a small time there when she and Ron had suddenly clicked. Out of nowhere, their constant bickering ceased and it came as such a surprise that even Harry commented on their change in behavior. However, Hermione hadn't fallen for Ron yet.

It was during their Seventh Year when she finally allowed herself to admit her strong feelings for the youngest Weasley son. She still hadn't had any idea about his feelings for her, but when Ginny approached her about the subject she didn't hold anything back. 

For the majority of that year she kept her feelings hidden from Ron. That turned out to be an easy task since they spent so much time searching for Horcruxes. The night when Ron left her and Harry, though... she knew then that she couldn't keep h er love for him to herself anymore.

Things for them had become much better after the War. After some time had passed and the scars had begun to heal, she and Ron spent more time together than ever. Harry joined at times but he was often busy with Ginny. Every time she saw Ron, she fell more in love with him. He made her laugh more than anyone and she felt completely comfortable with him. They weren't big fans of public displays of affection, but the kisses they did share left her heart racing.

About a month ago, though, was when their blissful relationship hit a rather large bump. It all started when Hermione told Ron about her new job at the Ministry.

"Ron, you won't believe it! I've been promoted to Head of the Department!" she came home exclaiming, a huge grin taking over her face.

Ron was lounging on the recliner, taking gulps of beer. "That's great, Hermione."

The excitement she'd felt all the way home suddenly vanished as she assessed Ron's flat tone and stiff body.

"Aren't...aren't you happy for me? This means the world to me, Ron." she said barely above a whisper.

Ron was silent for a minute, as if he hadn't heard her. And then he was hurling the beer bottle across the room, smashing it into a picture frame of the trio. The glass shattered everywhere, causing Hermione to let out a gasp.