+ Chapter Sixteen +

Narcissa's gaze fixed on the piece of paper lying in her lap, not comprehending what she'd just read.

The letter had arrived by owl a few days before, but she hadn't summoned the courage to open it until now.

And part of her wished she had kept it sealed.

Dear Narcissa,

This is Cumins from the Treatment Center writing. I'm horribly sorry for not sending this sooner, but there's been a change since the last time you came.

I regret to inform you that your husband, Lucius, has not improved in health. In fact, his health deteriorates more and more each day. There's not much we here at Center can do for him at this point- other than to make sure he's in complete comfort until his passing.

That being said, Lucius has requested for you and your son, Draco, to come visit him as soon as possible. He wants to say his goodbyes.

Please come if you can, I know it would make Lucius much happier.

Sincerely,
Cumins

It was all too surreal and sudden for her. Her mind was numb as she stared at the inked words, her brain not being able to register them.

After all these years and months of Lucius avoiding her and Draco; he was now asking for them? And while he was lying on his death bed?

Merlin, she was furious. She didn't care if Lucius was begging for company; she wasn't about to give in that easily.

Her husband might have been in physical pain, but he'd also caused her and Draco more emotional pain than they'd ever experienced.

No, she decided stubbornly. I am not going to rush to his side.

Not yet.

¥

Molly Weasley woke up to the sound of rustling coming from downstairs in the kitchen. She lay in bed with a frown, wondering who on earth was making such a racket.

"What is it, Dear?" mumbled Arthur from beside her.

She shook her head. "Someone is making a huge racket downstairs. I'm going to investigate."

And with that she sat up, slipped on her robe and shoes and cautiously opened the door to the landing.

Molly entered the kitchen moments later to see a familiar bush of red hair standing in front of the cabinets, moving dishes around.

"Ron," she sighed. "Pardon my language. But what the hell are you doing?"

Her youngest son spun around at the sound of her voice, his face alarmed. Once he saw it was her, he scratched the back of his head sheepishly, something he had done often as a child.

"Sorry, Mum. I just woke up, and felt really hungry."

She pursed her lips. "I can see that. So now that we're both awake, why don't you tell me about you and Lavender?"

Ron's eyes widened. "H-how did you know about that?"

Molly grinned and sat down at the table, gesturing for him to do the same.

"Your sister and I are quite close, Dear. So tell me."

Ron groaned and slumped down, sighing.