Chapter 21

After Mr. and Mrs. Spencer was given the news they decided to go home, they had a lot of thinking to do. They were driving me home and everyone was quite, Jen and her mom had running mascara down their cheeks and probably so did I.

Mr. Spencer hadn't looked like he has slept in weeks and was trying to get over the fact of what has happened.

"I can't believe that he past away," Jen whispered but loud enough for everyone to hear.

All that I could hear was the loud breath that Mrs. Spencer took, finally after a depressing ride I was home. They all got out of the car and we made our way to the front door, I knocked once and Mom opened it with a bight smile, but then faded.

"What happened, is everything okay, please come in."

They came inside and my mom gave everyone of us a hug, my parent and Jens sat in the lounge room and discussed what had happened while Jen and I went up to my room.

"His dead, my own brother," Jen said as laid lifelessly on my bed.

"Don't say that, his in a better place now."

I sit down with her and we just talk, she tells me about the memories she had with her brother and how they acted like they were best friends. He always use to stick up for her and they always use to get ice cream.

It reminds me of my dad and I, I know I haven't seen him for about a year and 1 month but before he went to Afghanistan he was in the police force. When I was 5 he was such a softie and spoke in a relaxed tone. I remember we use to get ice cream, then sit outside the shop and count how many blue cars we could see.

He use to tell me I was his princess and he was my king. He use to make forts with Riley and I, of course he was always the dragon and we would be the knights.

When I turned 6 he joined the police force and was always on duty, we never got to hang out and was always working late. He eventually stopped calling me princess, and I wouldn't see him for days. By the time I went to sleep he would come home, and by the time I woke up he had already left.

When Tyler was born I was 9, he took time off to help Mom out and started to become his old self again. Then on my 12th birthday he got a call from a Sargent ordering him to go to Afghanistan, it hurt all of us.

A year and a half he was going to be away, a year and a half of not seeing us grow up.

Only 5 months until he comes home now, yeah I count how long his been gone. We all miss him but every second his away the more anxious we become, I mean he can pass away second over there.

"You know that you've really helped me Hayley," I heard Jen say.

I snapped out of it and looked at her.

I'm glad I could help," I said with a warm smile.

All of a sudden I remembered I need to tell her about Hayes.

"Um Jen, I need to tell you something, I know all about the secret you and Hayes were keeping from me," I say looking at the floor.

"What, did Kendall tell you," she said as her eyes went wide.

"No, no, I went over to Hayes and he told me."

"I'm so sorry I kept that from you Hayley," Jen said as she put her arm around my shoulder.

"I know, I'm glad you didn't tell me," I gave her a smile as a tear slid down my face.

"He told me not to tell anyone, he knew it would hurt you and he begged me to keep it a secret."