2.5 | Breaking Point + Sick Joke

Start from the beginning

He added, "I have no need of it. It's all yours. Whatever you decide."

I stared at him a second longer having no idea what to take of this. I felt a bit skeptical, "Just like that?"

He sighed as if tired of having to repeat this. "I know you won't ever forgive me, Khushi, but please... please. Stop believing the worst about me."

I felt that burden over my heart as I often did whenever around him. Something about the way he said 'please' was not pretty. Even though I had every right to be mad at him, I did not like this pleading tone of this. It did not settle well. It seemed to somewhere take away something crucial to his being. It seemed to bring out some vulnerable side of him and though it is something I would have welcomed in another situation, I wouldn't be able to say for sure why I did not like it in the moment.

I was used to seeing him standing tall. Strong. Brave. And the word 'please' seemed to defy everything that made him, him. It wasn't right.

Maybe because a part of me felt guilty for pushing him to this brink of desperation. When did I become that person? The one who pushes others to their breaking point. I was never that person.

And yet, here you are. My subconscious nagged.

He swallowed before nodding towards the file, "After learning about Aarav, I'm sure you don't want anything to do with me. So, sign them. Submit them in court. If they need me to sign anything else, I'll do it. After tonight, you don't have to see me ever again."

What was he saying? Never see him again? Does that mean it is the end of our arranged engagement? Will he call it off? But... is that what I want?

He didn't wait for a reaction from me as he walked out towards the pool area and slid the door shut towards the room. My fingers tightened around the file as I blinked down at it again to stare at the first page.

The date at the very top caught my attention. It was roughly a week after our engagement. Two years... two years that he's kept this business under my name?

It was never about his business.

Those were his words. Is this what it meant? My heart continued thudding at a maddening pace even as I tried to get a hold over myself because even if my mind wanted to deny it, I think it knew all along just what his words meant when he had first said them.

This was not just business.

. . . ∞ . ∞ . ∞ . ∞. . .

Monday morning, I rushed to work. First day and I was late. Some impression I was going to make. Three people trying to get ready in the morning to leave at the same time did not work in our favor.

The entire weekend, I had spent coming to terms with learning about Aarav. Replaying Arnav's words on a loop. Trying to figure out again and again what I actually wanted out of this. He had been adamant a few days back about not calling off the wedding. He even went on to suggest I should agree to the compromise for the sake of my parents. And now, he was giving me a way out.

Did I want to take it?

Lost in such thoughts, I hadn't gone to bed on time and hence hadn't woken up early enough to not feel rushed.

After asking multiple people, I finally entered the cabin where I had been directed to. Others who must have been starting today as well were already inside. The man who looked to be in his late 20s questioned, "Ah, you must be the last intern. Khushi Gupta?"

I nodded catching my breath, "Yes, sir."

He dropped the file in his hand on the table. "Alright everyone, I only have two rules. Do not ever call me 'sir'. I have a name. Aman. I happen to like that name."