“What?” He asks confused and looks crushed. I look at Aiden as she passes by me. I look back at Derek. “I already have a date to homecoming.”

“Who? You always reject guys.”

I turn around and start to walk away. “None of your business.”

I keep walking away catching up with Aiden while her grandparents get in their car. I nudge at her arm and smile at her.

“Derek asked you about homecoming again didn’t he?”

“Yeah, he did. I told him I already had a date.”

“You do? With who?” She asks looking crushed too. A small grin appears across my face. I lean to her ear and whisper “You, silly.”

I lean back and scrunch my nose up with a smile. “We’ll go to homecoming together, because all of our friends obviously have a date. I didn’t think you’d have one, so we can just go together.”

“As friends?”

“Of course as friends. Come on, it’ll be fun.” I grab her arm gently hoping she’ll accept.

“Alright, but you gotta tell me what your dress looks like, because I don’t want to go looking like you.” She laughs. I let go of her arm.

“Deal.”

“Bye chick.” I say and walk away to my car. I look at my mom who’s standing outside of her car that’s beside of mine. She looks at me and winks. I look around. Is she winking at me? I look back at her.

“What’s with the winking?” I ask as I unlock my car.

“You’re going to homecoming with that sweet boy Derek, aren’t you?”

I take a deep breath. “No. And he’s not sweet. He’s an a… Finish that sentence.” I say and open my car door.

“Are you going with anyone this year?”

“My friend Aiden.”

My mom crosses her arms and looks as if she’s gritting her teeth. I stare at her confused.

“You talk about that girl a lot. More than you’ve ever talked about a guy or any of your friends.”

“Okay, ‘that girl’, has a name. It’s Aiden. Don’t ever refer to her as ‘that girl’ ever again.”

I get in my car and shut the door. I drive off quickly heading home. I’ll probably hear about this from my mom at home, but I’ll be home before she ever gets there.

“Kadence Rae!”

I quickly put on a t-shirt before my mom walks into my room. I sit at my desk getting on my computer. My door flies open and I cringe to the sound of it hitting the wall. I spin my chair around and stare at my mom.

“What?”

“I wasn’t done talking to you and you drove off.”

“Oh, I’m sorry. I had no idea.” I say sarcastically, which she doesn’t pick up on.

“What has happened to you since the beginning of the school year? You’re different.”

“I’m no different than I was two months ago.”

“You’re always talking about Aiden as if you were-“

“Gay? Is that what you were going to say mom? Gay?” I raise my eyebrows and cross my arms.

She looks away ignoring my question. I stare at her waiting for an answer.

“And if I were gay, why would that matter? I have gay friends, are you going to cut my communication off from them? Hmm?” I say standing up.

“I don’t care if your friends are gay or purple, Kadence. I don’t want my daughter to be gay.”

“No, let’s put this in a scenario. Let’s say I’m gay. Why does it matter?”

“Because it’s a sin!” My mom yells at me.

“Oh really?”

I walk over to my dresser and pick up the bible for Catholics. I put my finger in between the sticky note I put in it and a paper. I flip it open and I search to see if it says being gay is a sin. I hold the book on both sides and put it in my mom’s face.

“Read that whole page. Tell me where it says being homosexual is a sin to Catholics.”

She grabs the book from my hands and reads the page.

“Get your religion right.” I say frustrated and I sit down on my bed. I lean my back against the wall waiting for my mom to get done reading the page.

She closes the book and lays it on my bed. “It doesn’t say it’s a sin.”

“What’s your problem then? You have gay friends.”

“I’m not talking about this anymore.” She says. She walks out of my room dragging her feet and shuts my door. I get up and grab my phone out of my purse. I dial my dad’s phone and sit down on my bed with my knees to my chest.

“Hey baby.” He answers the phone.

“Dad, would you hate me if I was gay?” I look down at my toes and play with them with my free hand.

“No, you’re my daughter and I’d love you no matter what. I would love Michael if he was gay.”

I take a deep breath and my eyes fill with tears. I start to cry on the phone with my dad.

“Baby, don’t cry. Tell me what’s happening.” He says trying to calm me down.

“I’m gay.” I admit to him. “Mom suspects me of being gay, but she said that she doesn’t want her daughter to be gay. I haven’t told her I was, but she’s being religious on me and it’s annoying.”

“Would you hate me if I told you I knew you were gay?” He chuckles.

“You knew?”

“Yeaaahh. I could tell you were gay. I was waiting for you to admit it.”

I giggle a little and wipe my tears away.

“Dad, I love you. I’m sorry I wasn’t old enough to decide who I wanted to live with.”

“I love you too. Don’t say that. You’re mom does love you. I don’t think she’ll love the fact that you sneak out.” He clears his throat. My mouth opens wide. How did he know?

“What-what are you talking about?” I stutter.

“I’m a 40 year old man, I’m not stupid. I know you sneak out sometimes.”

“How are you so good?”

“I’m old and wise.”

I laugh at him. “Oh stop. You’re not old. Thank you for being supportive and having an open mind to the world.”

“Thank you for being an amazing daughter.”

I smile. “I’ll see you next weekend, dad.”

“Okay. Bye.”

“Bye.”

I lay my phone on my nightstand beside of my bed and I wipe the rest of my tears away. I’ll be 18 in December, and even though I’ll still live under my mom’s roof, I’ll be an adult. I can’t wait till I move out and live on my own. If I told her I was gay then she couldn’t do anything about it. If she cut off communication with me then that’s her problem. I would beg to talk to her or anything. I’m glad one person loves me still and that’s my dad.

He’s an amazing dad.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- If there's anything I could do to make the story seem real or easier for you to imagine let me know. I want to get better with my stories. Thank you so much for reading! It means a lot to me. I do say that in all of my stories, but I mean it lol. Love.Peace.Vote.Comment.