♪ Seven ♪

"What other songs should we do?"

I shrugged, flipping through the papers in my hands. We had been looking for songs for almost an hour, but we had only picked out two that we thought were perfect. Since Father James said they could sing all mass, we needed at least four songs.

The two songs we had were 'On Eagle's Wings' and 'Here I Am, Lord'. I wasn't an expert on the topic, so I let Summer choose both of them. I just flipped through the papers and acted like I was looking at them.

"This is great song!" she exclaimed suddenly, reading over a sheet of music, her eyes lightening. She looked at me. "It's called 'You Are Near'. I think we should sing it."

"Sounds good," I said. I had never heard of the song before, but she was excited about it.

"Just one more," she sighed, gently placing the chosen song with the other ones in the pile next to her. She began flipping papers again. I watched her do so, her green eyes scanning each title before slightly shaking her head and flipping to the next. She did it with such precision and care, like whatever song she chose made the greatest difference in the world, because it did. It meant everything to her.

"I don't know," I said honestly. "They all sound like great songs."

She nodded uncertainly, never looking up from the papers. Suddenly, she looked up and grinned. "I have it! My sister has a copy of this amazing song we used to love. We can just go get it and I can show you."

"Okay," I agreed. I decided just to be happy whenever she was, which was always. She really was able to make me happy. Her smile lit up a room.

"We can just run to my house now, so we have them all together." She was planning this to herself, but I nodded anyway.

"My mom might be home," she continued. "My sister is with my dad, but she won't mind if I borrow her song. She doesn't sing much anyway."

I nodded, standing from the pew when she did. "Did she decide to join the choir yet?"

She shook her head, still distracted with what we were doing. "I'm trying to get her to."

"I'm sure she'll come around."

I followed Summer out of the church as we began walking to her house. I had walked there once before with her. I didn't know what she wanted me to do when we got there, so I awkwardly stood on the porch.

"You can come in," she told me smiling after she opened the door. "My mom is insde. She really wants to meet you."

I nodded and stepped inside, growing a little nervous. I had never met a girl's parents before, unless they were famous. I wasn't really good with grown ups, unless they were like Rich.

Summer lived a humble home, just like I imagined it. The furniture was neat, but not showy. It seemed to fit the essence of the town.

"Mom?" Summer called out.

"In the kitchen, honey!" came the reply.

Summer waved for me to follow her into her kitchen. Her mom looked up at us, clearly surprised. She looked just like Summer, having the same blonde hair and gentle features. She even had the same eyes.

Her mom looked just like the typical mom; she wore an apron with her hair tied up, as she mixed something in a bowl. It was something I actually never saw my mom doing. She was usually dressed neater, going to countless parties and premiers with my dad.

"Oh, hello," she greeted, smiling at me warmly.

"Mom, this is Jesse," Summer introduced me.

Her mom's face lit up. "Oh! Summer has talked about you the past week nonstop. I'm so glad to meet you."