"Stage II - Steps" Chapter 6

Chapter 6

Wrapping a protective arm around her waist, he held her in place. Inspite of her wiggling underneath, he didn't loosen his hold that was gentle enough to not harm her, yet firm enough to make sure she didn't budge. Instead he pinned her with glaring eyes. She frustratedly let out a sigh. He wouldn't let her move.

If it might have been any other situation and any other day, he would have behaved a little different. Surely not this overbearing. But he wasn't to be blamed.

She was not going to move even an inch, until and unless she has completely recovered. If he had to be an overbearing jerk, be it.

Having felt her tensed muscles relax under his hold, he turned his calculative eyes at her. He was not convinced that she would stop fighting that easily. She'd rather pull a stunt and have her way than to give in, be it any situation.

Rolling her lips out into a defeated pout, she tilted her head meeting his gaze with her innocent pleading ones, "Manik," his name rolled out of her tongue as a plea.

Why does she have to be so cute, he thought.

"We have this small-party-kinda-get-together because the doctor said I'm recovering, right?" He was melting into her expressions as he nodded in response, "then shouldn't I get something for all of us?" Her eyes trailed over to where all her friends sat comfortably, watching the scene unfold.

Her eyes returned to his. Whatever she'd expected couldn't have been the frown that crept across his features. After a thoughtful moment, he replied, "No," his tone calm and casual.

"None of us, here, is an outsider," he reasoned continuing further, "we can help ourselves," his eyes shifted to others, only to spare them a glance and question, "right guys?"

There wasn't a chance to receive any response other than affirmative.

She sighed, pinned by his side for the rest of the evening. To her annoyance the girls chirped in with undeniable agreement to what Manik had said.

Mukti was the first to lighten up the atmosphere, "Of course, Manik," her palm clasped onto his knee, "we aren't outsiders."

Alya scrunched her face adding, "Friends can never be tagged as outsiders, instead we are like a family." She shot up from a seat to embrace Nandini into a hug and Mukti joined along.

Manik stared at his friends squeezing Nandini into a hug. He couldn't help but tear them apart.

Cabir poked in, "You girls would have probably squeezed her to death."

Mukti stepped aside, starting right back at Manik's piercing eyes, "We wouldn't have; also, how much ever you both treat her like a delicate doll, she is not." She didn't smoothen out her speech as Manik glared angrily at her. "Yes, we aren't outsiders; and we can surely help ourselves. Though, what you both need to understand is that injury is a part and parcel of life. You can't just make her not do things because she would be hurt again. Let her tackle all of that by herself."

The room had gone relatively quieter as she added, "Just give her the freedom to take her own decisions."

The silence in the room grew thicker, after a couple of blinks Alya stood up and applauded, "Wow! Mukti, that was great speech."

In between all of that, Nandini tugged onto Manik's shirt sleeve as she tried to grab his attention. Turning his eyes, he found a pair of hopeful eyes trapping his. She leaned into his ears; unintentionally leaning into his arms and cautiously whispered, "Washroom!"

Looking at her, he nodded affirmatively and forwarded his hand for help but she held denial in her eyes. "I will manage on my own," her stubborn voice splashed across his skin as she was still leaning into him. He darted a pointed gaze at her only to have melted on the insides seeing her lips roll into a pout while she uttered, "Please!"

Keeping the look on his face neutral, he narrowed his eyes at her. The rational part of him knew she was capable of handling herself but the irrational one denied to take any chance. She rolled her eyes at him and spoke softly into his ears only to have blown off his mind, "I will do whatever you say."

He went stiff besides her as her words settled and the flatness of her palm over his shoulder didn't help either. She leaned back to look at him only to hear, "Anything?"

She repeated positively, "Anything."

"I will be holding onto this," his smile woven into the words were an insight to the joyous feeling he had. She bobbed her head in agreement, only to have him smiling further.

She was countered with another question, "For how long?" She felt the strong urge to roll her eyes at him but decided otherwise.

She instead thoughtfully answered, "As long as you wish for," his eyes caught up with hers more intently.

"Forever?" His voice laced with uncertainty and doubtfulness.

Without taking another beat of a moment, she responded positively with a smile creeping into her face, "Forever," her smile lit up his.

With that he hesitantly let go off her while she bestowed him with a warm smile. Tearing his eyes apart when she disappeared out of his sight, he leaned back into his seat to find himself pinned under the curious gaze of his friends. He did what he was best at, ignore their questioning eyes.