Twenty-Two

Chapter's song: Shawn Mendes - There's Nothing Holdin' Me Back

I don't really believe him. I can't. This is Mark we're talking about. He changes girls as often as he changes shoes. I know that. He knows that. Hell. The whole wide world knows that too. Still, it's kind of sweet how he wants to make me feel special.

Exhaling slowly, I stare at the waves crashing down the beach. I can believe him for a few days. I can play along and pretend that what he says it's true. Maybe he thinks it is. Yet, no one can change their nature just because, and most definitely, not for me. I'm just a common girl, there's nothing special about me. Especially for a guy like Mark who can have anyone.

Relationships are so overrated, anyway.

Who wants to find a guy and be happy and—Okay. I'm going to shut the fuck off.

"What I'd give to know what you're thinking right now..." Mark says and my cheeks warm up. I'm so glad he can't.

"I was just thinking about the sharks and all that stuff."

He doesn't believe me. At all. He smiles and shakes his head. "Yeah. Right." He stretches his hand and takes mine. I'm biting my lip when he says, "How do you feel about camels?"

I blurt out laughing. "What?"

Mark's smile widens. "Do you like them?"

"Why would you ask me that?"

He chuckles as his thumb brushes my knuckles. I try to ignore the way my pulse starts to race or the way my hand starts to tingle. "I saw an ad on the hotel about a tour in the beach riding camels at sunset," he shrugs. "Sounds like fun."

At Sunset? sounds romantic. My whole body tenses and I glance at our hands. Blimey. I deserve romance in my life, don't I?

"Okay. Let's do it."

His grin is wide as we start picking everything up and we're in the yacht in no time.

The sea breeze is teasing my cheeks as I gaze at Mark. We're leaning over the ledge, surrounded by the ocean. "So, what do you do exactly?"

He chuckles before turning to me. "As in what?"

Turning around completely to look at him, I lean on the edge and tilt my head. "As in His Royal Highness."

He scrunches up his nose. "Oh. That. I thought you were going to ask something more exciting as in what mountains have I climbed? Or how many times I've bungee-jumped."

"That sounds interesting, too."

"Too bad. I'm not telling you," he says with an evil glint in his eyes. I roll mine.

"Mark."

"After being in the army for a few years, I try to run charities that support the veterans and their families, plus every other nonsense that my grandmother and brother sign me up to."