Chapter Five

Connor's mother seemed... Surprised, to say the least. She looked between them before her face lit up and she cupped her hands over her chest, smiling wide.

"My darling Connie has a friend!" Her voice was excited and she seemed happy. Connor frowned at the nickname but stayed silently, looking away. His mom began speaking again, "Well, if you two are hungry, dinner is ready." She closed the door and quickly went downstairs, smiling wide.

Connor sighed and lied back against the bed, taking his hand back from Evan. He seemed exhausted just from the conversation, not wanting to look at his family. He looked at Evan and realized how hungry he must be. Evan fidgeted a bit and jumped when Connor stood, taking his wrist gently and walking out of the room He let out soft noises of alarm and protest, his eyes wide.

"H-Hey, wait-!" He sputtered, his hand shaking a bit. Connor stopped and looked st him, confused, "W-What are you doing?" There was thick confusion in his tone, dripping off his words like molasses. Connor frowned.

"Food? I know you're hungry, I didn't see you eat at lunch and you haven't eaten here. Come on, Evan." His voice was soft and soothing, showing his concern for his friend's wellbeing.

Friend. Friend was a foreign word to both of the boys, leaving them in a dazed stupor. As they walked into the kitchen and sat, the family meal starting, neither of them truly paid any attention to the conversation as they thought about what Connor had said.

Was Evan really his friend? Sure, Connor signed his cast and makes sure he gets to class and invites him over and- Oh god, they're friends. Evan's first friend- his first, true friend, unlike Jared- is his school's bully, the laughing stock and the kid that everyone hated.

Evan smiled as he ate. He had a friend.