Prologue

The dim lights around me soothed me into a deep sleep. I was warm and comfortable but also exhausted from the run earlier during the day. I still couldn't believe that I had made it out of that supermarket with a bag of MREs. The men who chased me were fast but I was faster. Now I needed to sleep. My aching muscles relaxed as I passed out.

 I felt something tugging on my eyelids. Lights shone on the back of my eyes immediately waking my mind up from my dark slumber. My mind was foggy and I could not see much of my surroundings due to the fact that I had a light shining straight into my vision. I was blind for the moment. A pair of hands grabbed my arms from behind and handcuffed my hands together. They pushed me forward and I stumbled and caught myself.

I was in a grey concrete room. "How the hell?..." I asked out loud wondering how I had arrived in this strange and cold place. The lights seemed to follow my every movement. I looked back at whoever was pushing me forward and caught a glimpse of two men in dark uniforms with semi automatic guns pushed up against my back. I turned back around facing forward to stop in front of a pair of metal double doors. I heard a quick DING and the doors slide open. The guards shoved me inside and then followed behind. As the elevator started to rise, I turned my body slightly to get a better look at one of the men. As soon as I move, both personnel had their guns aimed at my head. Immediately startled I tensed up out of fear. One of the guards pushed my face back so I face the opposite direction. I comply without hesitation. At the same time I felt the elevator moving upwards. It stopped and the doors rumbled open. I was led into a room with a massive amount of machinery.

The guards pushed me towards a sinister looking chair in the center of the room. I continued onward fearfully. One of the guards turned me around and held me down on the chair while the other strapped me down with leather straps. I could not move an inch. The men flanked the entrance as a group of scientists walked in followed by a well dressed man. One of the scientists detached a gas mask looking device from the wall and strapped it onto my face. He then walked over to a series of tubes and pulled one towards the mask and eventually locked it into the filter. I kept breathing as a strange feeling entered my body. A sudden panic washed over me and I pulled at the restraints in desperation. My feeble attempts got me no closer to escape and eventually darkness presented itself to me. This time though, it was too tempting. I looked up and scanned the faces of the scientists and guards. One of the scientists placed a tray of scalpels on a table near me. I let loose a muffled scream as one of the blades was picked up. Two more doctors came up and stuck iv drips in my arms. I started to hyperventilate. 

One of the doctors shouted to his colleague: "Up the dosage! We don't want to have anything go wrong!" By then I couldn't feel anything and a minute after the nozzle was turned, there was no alternative but to embrace the depths of nothingness that rose up to greet me.