Chapter Twenty five

Several years ago
LIMBO CITY U.S.A

White Lightning ignited with energy as Neo charged the oncoming threat. He leapt into the air, clearing the road gap, and landing feet first into a demon horde.

The radio crackled as a voice came through. "Neo! Are you okay? Where'd you go?" it said.

"Damned demons pulled me into Limbo again, you know I can't control it." He responded, slashing through a scarecrow and jumping back.

"Just hurry up and finish them off! We have to get back to HQ" The radio fizzled out and Neo groaned in frustration.

"Can you please send me back? I'm kind of in a hurry!" Neo shouted at the scarecrows who looked at him with a twisted face. "What am I thinking, like hell you'd talk." He laughed to himself, pulling out a .44 revolver from his coat, pulling the hammer back. "Lights out." He pulled the trigger as a red and blue bullet roaring with energy, launched from the barrel, shredding the three hostiles in its way.

"Good girl." He said to his gun, spinning it on his finger like Clint Eastwood, blasting the rest. He spun, weapon out, his last shot trained on a demon's head.

"Feeling lucky punk?" He said in his best Eastwood impression. The scarecrow stepped back hesitantly. "Guess not." Neo blew its head off, sand spraying everywhere. He looked on, through the mangled and twisted streets, and saw the exit. A large red neon sign. "Later losers!" He holstered his gun, sprinting towards the entrance.

DO NOT LET HIM ESCAPE! Massive white letters suddenly painted the walls of the cracked and levitating buildings.

A wall shot up from the ground, blocking Neo's exit.

DIE MOTHERFUCKER! Flashed across the wall, as Neo sound around to see three of his least favorite demons. Drekavac.
I need to be careful. I'm in their territory. Neo thought, pulling White Lightning off his back. The the Drekavac stalked around him, their blades ready, waiting to strike.

"Alright, you want a real fight huh? Bring it." Neo spin his sword, and gripped the handle tight. The Drekavac stepped back. Vanishing through a rift. Neo looked around frantically for where they'd come through.

"Dammit!" Neo cried out as one of them flashed past him, slashing his chest. Another tried, but met the end of White Lightning. Neo ran him through, using the body to block the next attack. He flipped back, slamming his sword on the ground, the resounding Shockwave knocking them off their feet.
Neo knew he couldn't beat all of them alone, so he ran at the wall, springing up onto the vertical surface. He gave them a two finger salute, before running up the wall and vaulting over it, the ground morphed again, the exit door shifting under him. "Woah!" He shouted in surprise as he fell out of Limbo and onto the street in the human world.

"You alright?" His companion and brother, Aron, offered his hand, and Neo took it.
"Yeah, I'm fine. Mundus is getting desperate. He sent four Drekavac after me. The Dreamrunners were bad enough." Neo sighed. "We should get going, before they decide to pull me back.

Aron nodded, pointing down an alley. "Shortcut". They ran down, taking every turn they could find. "Almost there!" After several minutes of running, they slid to a stop outside Headquarters.

They were too late. Where it stood hours before, had been reduced to ash. "Shit.. We weren't fast enough. God dammit!" Aron kicked the rubble. "How did this happen? How did we not know this happened?!"

"Take a deep breath. There's bound to be survivors. See if you can find Q. I'll try to call Anthony." Neo said, with an exasperated sigh.

"No luck. Just hitting voicemail. This is so fucked." Neo clenched his fist. "The Drekavac were just a distraction. That's it. We end him. Now."

"Agreed. Let's give Mundus the story of a lifetime." Aron summoned his blade, and walked off into the shadows with Neo on his heels.