Chapter Three

I sprinted inside darting to the kitchen, keys are still here. I walked into the living room and nothing seemed to be missing. Why would someone break into a house and not take anything?
Unless...
I sprinted up the stairs bursting into my room. And as I expected. My photo wall.. Desecrated. The photos lay torn and scattered across the room. Some torn to shreds. Most torn in half. All those years.. All my pictures.. I walked to the center of the room dropping my bag on the floor and my knees meeting the carpeted floor. Before me lay the only picture I truly cared about.
Who is sick enough to do this...
I thought as I carefully lifted the torn picture into my hands. The only picture I needed. Destroyed.
My dad, mom, and older brother.. They stared at me from the ripped shreds, the bright smiles still on their faces. And me. As a baby, still in my mother's arms. My uncle had taken this when I was an infant still.. It's the only photo I still had of them. And it's torn in three.

I stood, laying the torn strips on the shelf of my bureau. I clenched my fists in rage and buried my fist in the wall. The pain snapped me back to my senses. I stared at my bloodied knuckles and through the fog of my rage found myself crying. Now I knew I had to fix this.
Whoever did this, better watch out.

                         ♦️♦️♦️♦️

I slung my bag over my shoulder, closing my locker, making sure it clicked shut. I made my way down the hall, occasionally glancing at the school banners and posters for things like the next football game and the school play Eden. My hands in my pockets, I hoped to blend in like always. Invisible to everyone.
I glanced up from the floor and saw my photography teacher Mr. Thomas waving me over. I pulled my headphones out and walked over to him.

"You look down kid. Come in."
We walked into his room and sat behind his desk pulling out some kind of flyer and form. He slid then across the desk and I observed the flyer,
E.C.H Photography contest. Winner gets a top of the line Nikon and a trip to the east Washington photo museum.
"I was hoping you'd be interested in entering. I know how passionate you are about your photos. Would you be interested?"

"Yeah maybe I guess." I mumbled and took the form signing my name. "Might as well."

"Nathan, is anything wrong? You seem in the dumps today. Trouble at home? At school?" Mr. Thomas adjusted his glasses, and I saw myself in the reflection. Black hoodie, a Good Charlotte shirt, black jeans and my dirty converse shoes. Then I saw my face and he was right. I guess I did look sad.
"No sir, I'm okay just tired is all." I lied hoping he'd buy it. And he did.

"Okay , I know Jack and Shane are always picking on you. I hope it isn't one of them. If you need to talk, just come by. And keep taking those excellent photos. I'll see you after lunch in class." Mr Thomas shook my hand like always , and let me out into the flow of hallway traffic once more.

                        ♦️♦️♦️♦️

I bit into a spoonful of the potatoes thinking these aren't half bad. I continued to eat, doing what I usually do and listening to everyone around me. I'm good at that. I tapped my foot making seem like I'm listening to music. I'm such a little devil.
And of course, like clockwork, the meat head twins arrive to fuck up my lunch period.

"Sup dork." Shane flicked a pea at me, pelting me clean in the forehead.

"What do you to want this time. I have better things to do than listen to your first grade attempt at forming proper sentences." Good idea Nate, piss them off. I looked down again at my food, smirking. It was a sick burn though.

"Did he just make fun of us?" Jack scratched his head and his sidekick replied, "I think so. Let's show him what he gets for it!" They both laughed and walked around the table grabbing me by the arms.

"Hey! Let me go!" I kicked and struggled to get free but I have to admit, these brutes were strong. And I knew where this was headed.

"Dumpster diving!" They said in unison throwing me into the trashcan. They high fived and laughed walking away saying something about winning.

I muttered a string of swear words and struggled to get out of the receptacle. After a few minutes I eventually gave up. The bell rang and I was once again subject to pointing and laughing. Great.

After another several minutes of ridicule, I finally received a helping hand. I didn't look up, but they helped pull me out, and for that I thanked them. I brushed my jeans off and looked up into the face of the homecoming queen.

"Hey , you okay?" her voice was soft. Genuine.

"Yeah, Im fine. Did Shane or Cameron put you up to this?" I brushed off my shirt next.

"No I just wanted to be sure you were okay. Those guys are dickheads." She crossed her arms slightly bothered.

"Sorry .. It's just hard to believe anyone would help the class freak."

"Those asshats walked by me saying something about winning jock vs hipster. Those idiots couldn't even win the special Olympics."

I smirked impressed. "Nice one" I laughed.

"By the way, I'm-"

"Emilia Woods, junior class homecoming Queen and Cameron Carson's girlfriend. I know." I slid my hands into my pockets. "I'm Nathan. My friends, if I had any, would call me Nate."

"I know. You're Mr. Thomas's favorite student. I'm in your sixth period. By the way, aren't you friends with that weird kid Damien Blake?"

"Yeah sort of. More like acquainted."
I walked to the table grabbing my bag putting over my shoulder.

"Wanna walk to class with me?"

"Wouldn't your boyfriend get mad?"
I pulled my glasses from my bag putting them on brushing my long black hair aside.

"Who cares. Allow me to escort you then". She walked up beside me and I gave in.

"Okay beauty queen, let us go." My lip twitched a bit eventually turning into a grin, that she returned, and we walked together to Photo 3.
Booyah.