Part Thirty Two

“Miriam”

The night air of Fosteria, Ohio smelled sweet as she paused on the small porch of her home. Carefully, she removed a small purple feather from her pocket, twirling it loosely between her fingers as she approached the front door to her humble abode. Her mind was busy recalling events that had taken place seventy-two years ago. She remembered the whitecaps of the ocean rolling in on the shore of Varigotti beach, in Liguria, Italy. Two ageless beauties were lying side by side, like celestial creatures stretched out on the beach hand in hand, staring up into the night sky. They were upside down in the world, with the sky as an ocean and the sand as clouds behind. Like a third companion, the bright glow of the moon burned warmly in between them. It was Katrina's five hundred and fortieth birthday. Miriam had decided to bring Katrina here to celebrate.

Three hundred years earlier, when Katrina lived in a small town in Italy, Miriam revealed herself to the broken and despondent queen. She no longer felt worthy of the title or crown, deciding to live in isolation from the remaining Twellers, but especially Marlon. That summer, he announced his love for Elise, informing Katrina about his intentions to mate with her. The Queen and her Captain's relationship was marred in friction because of his devotion to her as Queen. However, she was convinced she wasn't in love with him, but nevertheless, the news of his intentions toward Elise still stung. Over the centuries, Miriam's visits were spaced out with appearances every fifty or so years.

She encouraged Katrina that her place among her own was as Queen, despite her current circumstances. The majestically gorgeous creature was simply breathtaking to behold. With every new encounter, the strings of Katrina's heart became more taut.

A tension, soon to give way in a moment unexpected. Miriam was urging her to watch the skies. "Okay, Katrina, pay attention," she said gleefully.

The eyes of the confused queen searched the starry sky.

"What am I looking for?"

"Oh, you'll know it when you see it," Miriam said softly.

The warm night was cloudless, except for a huge, peculiar cloud that hadn't moved.

"You ready?" an eager Miriam ask. Katrina nodded enthusiastically. Miriam blew softly into the air in the direction of the curious cloud.

Slowly, it disbursed in every direction, revealing stars that had been gathered to spell out 'Katrina.' Miriam watched as a stunned Katrina gasped with excitement.

"Miriam," Katrina exclaimed softly. "That's so lovely of you."

She felt honored. How many people can say that they've had their names written in the stars?

"Okay, keep it in your mind," Miriam urged. "I have to put things back the way they were."

Katrina observed as Miriam fanned her hands towards the stars. Soon Katrina's name disappeared.

"So, did you like your birthday gift?" she asked, smiling.

"Yes, very much," Katrina blushed. "How were you able to do that?"

"The how of it wasn't so difficult. It's all in the timing. The Throne doesn't like it when we move things around up there without permission."

"So how were you able to do it then?"

Miriam playfully beckoned Katrina with her index finger, moving closer to divulge her secret. "The Throne takes a nap, for two minutes when the earth is in this rotation," Miriam whispered.

Katrina giggled. "You lie," she laughed. She always enjoyed Miriam's strange tales about the Throne.

"I am not!" Miriam insisted. "I am Myathian, I cannot lie."