13. 22; Chapter IV.

I understood more things, then. First was how unsure Sling was when it came to me. I was a sort of wild card. Reznik said it himself—I could send Squad 22 all the way to the bottom.

    Second was what they wanted from us—take orders. No questions asked. Disobeying commands leads to great punishments. Or, all this in one word, discipline.

    And third—the brain washing. They don't want us to think about it. Anything, actually. They're making silent killing machines out of us. Like Clone Troopers.

    A knock pulls me out of my head. The door opens and a medic (Kistner, I think his name is) enters. "Marionette, right?" he asks. I nod overly slowly and hope he doesn't question that. Not everyone at camp needs to know I'm losing it. "Commander Vosch requested me to take you to him."

    Oh god. How did Reznik manage to tell the head of camp so fast? It's, on another note, impressive.

    Kistner asks me to follow him. And do I really have a choice?

    My feet feel exceptionally heavy. It's like I'm dragging weighs around with me. A few recruits and officers are sealing the entrances to an underground bunker that serves as a safe place, in case the Others attack. Safe house, maybe. Besides that we all know how 'safe' we will be if the Others decide to pay us a visit.

    We have drills once a month and get points for the amount of time it takes us to get there. There's always a lot of screaming and the most cases of guys going Dorothy is at that time. Dorothies never leave the psychiatric centre. Well, theoretically, they do, but not alive.

    The barracks and fields keep passing us. We don't get any suggesting looks from the recruits, which, I suppose, is a plus. As far as pluses go.

    I'm thinking nonsense. Is this what being Dorothy feels like?

    I stop. I know this is the whole point of Vosch wanting to see me. I knew it from the beginning. Reznik's looks don't lie. Much.

    But I actually admitted it to myself. And now that I have, the thought isn't going away. Like a rubber band. You try to repress it, push it away, di whatever-- it always comes back. Again and again and again and again.

    Somewhere in the back of my head there's Slingshot's voice, "You're not going Dorothy. I won't let it happen."

    His words are merely a whisper in contrast with my mind screaming. "I'm a Dorothy. I'm a Dorothy. I'm a Dorothy. I'm a Dorothy." Dorothy or, in other words, crazy.

--A/N--

Hey guys! Thanks to anyone reading Marionette! Special shout-out to IsabelPigott who's kind words never fail to motivate me and make my day better. I'm super grateful! (BTW check out her story 'Mind Reader' it's one of the best things I ever read on here and her other stories.)

I wasn't updating because of school . . . I had to do many tests but it all payed off! I got accepted into an Italian grammar school, which I'll start visiting next year. I skipping one grade from my current school and that's a bit scary but I'm really hyped!

Anyway, without stress from school (even though I still have to keep perfect grades so I don't get kicked out or anything) I'll make sure to update as much as I can.

Once again, big thanks to all of you!