Chapter 18

Chapter 18

"Peggy is going to kill you, you know," Ronnie said to me after school while I was putting my belongings in my locker and grabbing what I would need for homework tonight.

"She can deal with it," I said.

After finding out I was running to be valedictorian, Ronnie immediately replied and said she was going to get it because she was the head cheerleader. After all, popularity was what counted for the valedictorian.

Insert eye roll here.

She wasn't announced the valedictorian. The teachers and principal said they wanted someone inspirational, not someone who was just looking for popularity. They thought I would have a lot more to say after what happened with River.

Trust me, I did. I was already having a lot of ideas with what I could write my speech about. Peggy's speech was probably only going to be all about her.

"I just hope I don't procrastinate with writing it," I said. "I procrastinate a lot."

"Yes, that I know," Ronnie said. "If it helps, I could spam you with texts every day to make sure you at least wrote part of it."

"That would actually help a lot," I said. I finished grabbing everything I needed before closing my locker and zipping up my backpack. "Make sure I'm at least a third of the way done by next week since graduation is in two weeks."

"Got it," Ronnie said. "Will River be watching the ceremony?"

"Nope."

Ronnie furrowed her eyebrows. "What? Why? Wouldn't you want him watching? Or does he not want to go?"

"No, he probably wants him to go, but I'm not going to let him," I said.

"Why not?" she asked.

"Because Genius loves him more than me."

"So....You don't want your boyfriend to watch you graduate, and give a speech, because your pet duck likes him more than you?"

"Yes. River rubs it in my face on purpose."

Ronnie laughed softly. "You and your pet duck. I'll never understand it."

"What? I love ducks, so my mom got me a pet duck. It makes perfect sense. And speaking off, I should be heading home so I can try getting rid of the brainwash Genius has gone through because of River."

"Alright, see you," Ronnie said.

"See you," I said before leaving the school building and heading to my car.

As soon as I got home, I saw Genius, of course, just standing beside the kitchen table River was sitting at. River was using my laptop, which I let him do all the time while I was at school so he wouldn't be too bored.

I scoffed and crossed my arms. "You're still brainwashing, Genius, aren't you?"

"Yes," River said. "That's what I'm looking at online. Ways to brainwash my girlfriend's pet duck. You'd be surprised at how many websites popped up."

I dropped my bag on the floor by the door and took off my shoes before sitting down at the table beside him. "What are you really doing?"

"Looking up online courses," he said. "I really want to complete high school and get my diploma. I don't know if I can go all of my life thinking about how I didn't get to get my high school diploma just because of what other people were saying about me and doing to me. I don't want to let them win."

I smiled softly. "Well, I'm happy for you. And if you ever need help, I'll be here."

"I know you will," River said, smiling back at me. "Thank you, for everything. You literally the best thing that has ever happened to me."

Like always when we were about to kiss, Dad suddenly walked into the kitchen. "No kissing in the house," he said.

I sighed and looked at him as River looked back at the laptop. "Where did you come from?"

"Work," Dad said. "I had this intuition that my daughter and her boyfriend were about to kiss so I rushed home. I made rules for a reason, dear daughter. So, what are you doing besides defying my rules?"

"Oh, River wants to finish high school online," I said. "Would you know how to?"

"He'll probably have to talk to the principal at his school," Dad said.

River sighed. "Great. I would rather not go back there and see everyone again."

"I can go with you," Dad said. "I'm off of work tomorrow, so we can go then."

"Really?" River asked and Dad nodded. "Okay. Thanks."

"No problem," Dad said. "Besides, it will give you less time to spend with Arden."

"Really, Dad?" I asked. "I'll be at school myself anyway."

"Yes, I know," Dad said. "But you'll probably be home before we finish, so that's less time to spend with him."

"You're unbelievable."

"No, I'm your dad."

___________________

Sorry for the late update. I was out all day helping my dad clean a house and I really didn't think it was going to take too long. I just got home and it's 7:15 pm now. I still have to pack for Whistler but knowing me, I'll pack at midnight. cx OOPS.