Chapter 5

Chapter 5

I woke up the next day on Saturday to my cell phone ringing over and over again. I was tempted to just keep ignoring the calls and turn it on silent, but I sat up and decided to answer it once I saw Ronnie's name on the screen. She knew how much I liked to sleep in on the weekends, so the only reason she would call with a possibility of me still sleeping was if she really needed something.

I sighed and rubbed my eyes before answering the phone. "Hello?"

"Don't tell me you were still sleeping," Ronnie said. "It's noon."

I looked at my alarm clock and sighed. "Yeah, I was. So, why are you calling?"

"Uh, because I would like to know where you were yesterday during the basketball game," Ronnie said. "We were waiting for you to show up and you never did."

I furrowed my eyebrows. "What are you talking about?"

"Arden, we had a performance during the basketball game yesterday. The one you never showed up to."

"What? But Peggy told me that I wasn't performing. You guys had a vote just because I missed one practice."

"Huh? We never had a vote, and it definitely wasn't after I left, because I was the last to leave."

I couldn't believe it. Peggy lied to me just so I wouldn't show up. I mean, I already knew she wanted to be head cheerleader --she wasn't so secretive about it. I didn't think she would ever do something about it, though, especially trying to get rid of me.

"You know what? I'm going to go talk to Peggy," Ronnie said.

"No, don't," I said. "She already got what she wanted. Just drop it."

"Arden, I'm not going to drop it," Ronnie said. "She lied to you just so you wouldn't show up and she could take charge. Yesterday at the game, she was even going on and on about how if she was head cheerleader, she would never miss a performance without telling anyone."

"Unbelievable," I said. "But I'm serious. Don't go talking to her. You'll make things worse. Just drop it. I have bigger things on my mind anyway to think about Peggy's attitude."

"Oh, River, right," Ronnie said. "How's everything going with the case?"

"It's hard," I said. "Right now, all the evidence is pointing towards River being guilty. I don't know if we'll be able to prove otherwise."

"I don't think you should worry on proving that River is innocent," Ronnie said. "Instead, I think you have to find out who actually did it."

"You're right," I said. "I'm going to go visit River now, see if he could think of anyone who would ever do such a thing."

"Okay," Ronnie said. "Tell me how it goes."

After we hung up, I pulled myself out of bed and went to my washroom to brush my hair and teeth. Afterwards, I went back in my room and got changed before grabbing my sweater and keys. I headed down the stairs and left, luckily having neither of my parents home to ask where I was going. Mom wasn't coming home until the next day, and Dad was at work as of right now.

I drove to the prison and once I got there, I told one of the guards I was there to visit River. He led me to the visiting area and gestured for me to sit down on one of the seats. Shortly after, River showed up on the other side of the glass and we picked up the phones hanging on the wall.