Chapter 12

Chapter 12

We were back in court for another session to see if River was innocent or not, and I really hoped Marilyn would be able to prove it. The only thing we had proving River's innocence was Edmund being guilty and if Marilyn couldn't prove that he was, then I didn't know what else we would do.

River didn't deserve to be in prison when Edmund was getting away with it. He killed three people. He took away someone's parents and little brother. He didn't deserve getting off when someone else was suffering.

Showing up at the courtroom, I was very nervous. Not as nervous as River probably was, but still nervous.

Marilyn didn't waste any time when the hearing started. The first thing she did was call River up just so he could clarify everything; hearing the doorbell ring, being upstairs the whole time, and seeing no one else when he came downstairs. Afterwards, she called Edmund to the stand.

Edmund seemed a bit confused, and I think he was trying his best not to look nervous. If he did, the whole thing would be over fast.

"Mr. Werner," Marilyn said. "Can you tell me why you think you're up here?"

"I'm guessing it's because Enid was one of my employees," Edmund said.

"Yes, that's partially right," Marilyn said. "Did you have any relations to the family?"

"Relations?" Edmund asked. "Can you expand on that?"

"Certainly," Marilyn said. "Did you have any relationships with any of the victims? Are you related to any of the victims?"

"Related," Edmund mused. "Why would you think I'm related to any of the Gillespies?"

"A few reasons, actually," Marilyn said. "Someone I know told me that it is impossible for a child to have brown eyes if both his parents have blue eyes? And guess what? Emerson Gillespie had brown eyes and both of his parents have blue."

"I don't see what that has to do with me," Edmund said. "Maybe he was adopted. I don't know."

"He wasn't, because River distinctly remembers his mother being pregnant and giving birth to Emerson," Marilyn said. "So, anything you would like to add, Edmund? If you don't, I'm going to say it anyway, so I suggest you tell the truth."

Edmund sighed and rubbed his forehead. "Alright, fine. Emerson is truly my son. Enid and I had....a thing going on and happened to conceive Emerson."

"Did she tell you?" Marilyn asked.

"No, I found out a few months ago during a work party where the employees brought their family," Edmund said. "She brought her husband and Emerson, and I just knew by one look that he was truly my son. I, as well, thought it was odd that he had brown eyes when both Enid and Charles had blue eyes. I confronted her about it later on. She denied it. She kept denying it a few times until a few weeks ago when she finally told me the truth."

"Did she ever let you see him after that?" Marilyn asked.

Edmund shook his head. "No, she refused to let me see him. She didn't want to tear things apart with her family. Her husband had no idea about....about us."

"That must have killed you inside," Marilyn said with a sympathetic tone. "Knowing you had a son and not being able to see him."

"Yeah, it did," Edmund said. Then he shook his head. "Sorry, what does all of this have to do with the case?"