Chapter 16

Arden's prom dress above

Arden's prom dress above. ^^^

Chapter 16

Prom was finally here and honestly, I couldn't wait. I wasn't really big on school dances and the only reason why I would ever go to one was because Peggy insisted that we all go. By we, I meant the cheerleaders.

I was actually really happy I wasn't on the team anymore. It sucked, because I was the head cheerleader for two years, but even then Peggy was the one who usually acted like the head cheerleader by bossing the team around. It was really nice being away from her.

I was almost ready to go, thankfully, because prom was starting in ten minutes. Mom was the one doing my hair and my make-up since she had a lot of experience being in the modeling industry.

"Holly! Hurry up getting Arden ready!" Dad called from downstairs. "River is waiting! He looks nervous standing by me!"

"Dad, stop freaking him out!" I called back.

"I'm just reminding him that I am a police officer and would not like my daughter being treated poorly!"

River said something back to Dad, but I didn't quite hear exactly what he was saying.

I did, however, hear my dad's reply because he talked a lot louder than River. "I don't care if you're just her prom date," he said. "Touch her, and you will regret it."

I sighed and Mom chuckled. "He loves you is all," she said.

"A bit too much if you ask me," I said.

"It's a blessing and a curse," Mom said as she set down the curling iron. "There. All done."

I looked in the mirror, smiling at my mom's work. The makeup was very light, and it was the hair that I loved the most. She had two waterfall braids going on both sides of my head, then meeting in the middle and being tied together with a strand of hair covering the elastic. My hair was curled as well.

"I love it," I said. "Thanks, Mom."

"You're welcome," she said. "Now you have to get going. Ooh, but I have to take pictures first."

"No," I whined. "No pictures."

"Yes pictures," Mom said. "Or I'll take away your car."

I sighed and got up from the chair I was sitting on. I grabbed my silver clutch purse and my shoes before heading down the stairs with Mom following.

"Wow," River said when I reached the bottom step. "You look...." He stopped and looked over at Dad. "Am I allowed to compliment her?"

"If you didn't, I'd make you," Dad said.