Chapter 1: Toffee

Start from the beginning

"Mum, Dad, today is the day. The day I told you about. Please, I need your blessings. I need you to please ask God to make this day perfect. I really need the job, okay? I love you both very much and see you later," she chatted to the picture quickly before turning and rushing out through the door and quickly locking it behind her.

She managed to put on her shoes as she ran towards the bus stop and tied her shoelaces as soon as she got in and had taken her seat.

She ran up the numerous staircases before standing in front of the entrance into the tall skyscraper. She took in a deep breath before she noticed her reflection in the glass door in front of her. Her short, curly, black afro of hair was a mess. Quickly, she brought out a band from her bag and brushed her hair with her fingers before packing it into a better appearance. After feeling satisfied, she ran into the building. What she met was magnificent and beautiful. She'd heard of how beautiful Hendrix Enterprises was but she never imagined she would step into the building and it would look even better in reality. What caught her attention the most were the men and women walking around her all busy and dressed officially in beautiful suits. Not even one paid attention to her. She dreamed more than anything to own an ID just as they did, which they hung around their neck or pinned to their suits.

She snapped herself from her dreams and rushed to the reception.

"Hello, my name is Emerson, and I'm here for the interview..."

"You're late," the red-headed young woman said nonchalantly without looking up to her.

"I know and I'm sorry but..."

"I suggest you go back home. Mr Hendrix hates tardiness and you're a candidate for that," she continued without looking up to Emerson. Emerson just shook her head as she drew a strange smile on her face.

"Don't you think Mr Hendrix should say that to me and not you?"

"It's a piece of advice..."

"Hey, Miss!" Emerson called the receptionist's attention a bit louder than earlier as she stomped her hands on the young woman's desk.

The red-headed young lady rose her eyes up to her. Emerson was glad to finally have her attention.

"I still have about five minutes till the interview is over so before those few minutes run out, I suggest you please do your work and lead me to the waiting room. You have no idea how far I've come to get to this point so don't you dare ask me to turn back...please," she ended politely to make things sound better, and she added a smile as she noticed the shocked stare the young woman gave her.

"Fine," the receptionist expressed reluctantly as she got to her feet and walked around her table to where Emerson stood.

"Don't say I didn't warn you later on," she told her as she stuck a sticker on Emerson with '109 candidate' written on it.

Emerson smiled happily at her latest victory as she followed behind the red-headed young lady all the way to the elevator.

"Sandra Fey," a middle-aged brunette called out to apparently the last person sitting in the waiting room. "You're the last, so good luck," she told the young woman, who thanked her in return before walking off towards the elevator.

"You better make that second to the last. The last one is here and she's really stubborn," the receptionist told the brunette as soon as the last candidate left.

"Hello, my name is Emerson S..."

"You're late," the brunette interrupted her introduction with a straight face.

"That's what I told her, but no, she wouldn't listen." The receptionist backed up.

"I know, but please, there's still time. I need this job. Please give me a chance."

"Listen, young lady, it's not my call. Mr Hendrix hates tardiness..."

"That's what I told her."

"Sofia! Please... You can go back to your station. Thanks for bringing her here. I can handle it from here," the brunette told her, and frankly, she'd read Emerson's mind. She was sick of the young woman's constant interruptions.

"Are you sure? Because I can call the security to help her out," the red-headed young woman still offered and Emerson felt like tearing her in two for that stupid suggestion.

"No, no, it's okay. I've got this. Thank you, Sofia."

"Okay." She said her last word and finally she was gone.

Emerson watched the brunette sigh exhaustedly.

"Look, young lady, I would love to help you, but my hands are tied. I called your name earlier and you were nowhere to be found so I ticked 'absent.' He has a copy of the candidates list and the young woman in there is the last on the list. I'm sorry but it's best you leave now," she explained and turned to leave, but Emerson quickly took hold of her hand.

"Please, ma'am, I need this job. I've been anticipating this day since I found out. I really need this job. I can't afford to turn away without trying. Please help me. Please just put in a good word for me to him and ask him to give me a chance."

"It won't work."

"Please, I'm begging you. Please just give it a try. I'm really sorry for the inconvenience but I really need this. Please," Emerson pleaded so nicely and even put on her sorry face.

She was really sorry. She tried her best to be punctual but she just couldn't make it. Emerson watched the woman's face light up in confusion, irritation, and annoyance.

"Fine! Wait here. I'll give it a try and if he says no then I'm sorry but you'll have to leave, deal?"

"Deal," Emerson agreed with a wide smile. She was positive that everything was going to be fine. Neither God, her parents, nor guardian angel was going to let her down.

She sat patiently and nervously while waiting for the woman to return. Finally, she did.

"So?" Emerson asked her.

"Hmm...What magic trick did you use? He has never gone back on his word."

"I have the interview?" Emerson asked excitedly.

"Yes," she answered, still a bit confused.

"Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you sooo much!" Emerson exclaimed as she flung her arms around the woman for a tight hug.

She heard the woman clear her throat as a signal for Emerson to regain control of herself. Emerson got the message and let her go.

"You better not screw things up for yourself and come with me," she warned her, and Emerson shook her head excitedly before following her to the elevator which went to the next floor above.

"Are you stepping into his office dressed like that?" she asked Emerson while they stood in the elevator.

Emerson took one look at her outfit then back to the woman, who gave her a strange look.

"Yes. I'm putting on my lucky shirt and my special occasion shoes. Nothing could go wrong," Emerson said, smiling from ear to ear while her eyes widened in joy as she felt so sure of her herself. The woman just gently shook her head at her as she looked away.

"Here we are. Act confident, answer politely, and don't forget to speak up," she encouraged her, and Emerson just nodded even though she knew she'd barely heard anything she'd said. She was busy trying to get over her nervousness. It was so unlike her to be scared and nervous but it was a big day so...she was allowed.

She stepped into the office and the door shut behind her.

Pls don't forget to vote and comment. Your supports means a lot to me.