Chapter 23

Chapter 23

I awake to my side throbing. I look at the alarm clock on the night stand and see that it's seven in the morning. I try going back to sleep but my body isn't as tired as it was last night. As I sit up in bed, the pain in my right side shoots though me. I lift up my shirt and can see how big the cut is. The only place I can think of hurting it was when I crawled under the gate and the end of it is what most likely cut me.

I decide to take a shower and then put on somthing simple. Gunner comes along with me downstairs to grab breakfast. I don't see Tobias but I do see Christina. I guess she couldn't sleep either.

"Morning." I say.

"What are you doing up so early?" She asks with a slight smile.

"I could ask you the same thing." I say smiling back.

Slowly I sit down next to her not wanting to rip the stiches like I did the time I got shot in the shoulder. Christina notices me acting like an old person.

"What wrong with you? Baby got you acting slow?"

"No!" I say smirking. "I guess the end of the gate caught my side while I was trying to get under. It's no big deal. The nurse gave me stiches and I just don't want to rip them out."

"Glad your okay then I guess." The conversation goes still for a minute untill Christina brings up the topic of Ethan.

"Do you think he will lie to us? You know, about the plans?" She talks a little quiiter now so only I can hear her.

"I don't know. I just hope that he doesn't lie because I just want things to be right in this world. We were so close to the coming of peace. All that risking for nothing."

"Tris! Don't talk like that! You sacraficed your life the the lives of others and that was all for nothing? Yeah, I don't think that would be you."

I give her a look. "You know, it's much more complicated than just that. With Evelyn making all these new serums and being able to regenerate the minds of the people, she's capable of making the war happen all over again." I can only imagin how hard it has been for Tobias with his own evil mother being the center of something that is so huge; so dangerous. I haven't taken the time to talk to him about it as much as I'd like to.

"It's something we all are going to have to deal with and only time can tell what will happen next." Says Christina. I want to tell her that its more then just what time can tell but I don't have much of the energy this morning to talk about it. The thought of what Tobias told me on the train comes back to my mind. When Evelyn threaten to harm my child. Everything becomes harder to cope with when something so small and dear to me is to be harmed. I need to talk to Tobias.

****************

I rest a little in my room untill in the late afternoon, Tobias comes in and tells me that Ethan was wanting to talk to us about the meeting. We walk down the hallway to a unknown hallway which I haven't seen before.

"How do you know where you're going?" I ask.

"Jessica told me that he wanted to meet us down here. She gave directions and I guess we take this door."

I follow Tobias into the large wooden door to where I find Christina, Jessica, and Ethan already sitting down at a round, metal table. They all have serious looks on their faces.

"Please sit." Says Ethan in a low voice. I sit down and Tobias takes a seat next to me.

"Now we have discussed the troubles in Chicago and we will be able to help. There is only one problem, at the beginning of the meeting the police official and general agreed that we don't take immediate action yet. We will be able to interfere in two weeks time." I realize that Ethan did spill out a little lie because even though we weren't there to see the beginning of the meeting, Chris kept saying that there was no time and that he was right when he said that Evelyn was capable of taking over more than it was possible to think of. Christian's Candor manner shows as she squints at Ethan. I grab Tobias's hand under the table and squeeze it a little. He gives me an understanding look reassuring me that he see's the flaw too. "Is that okay with you?"