Chapter 1 - First Sight

My mother drove me to the airport with the windows pelted in rain. It was seven degrees in London, the sky was grey, and it was the usual downpour of rain. I was wearing my usual black abayah and my favourite navy headscarf; I was wearing it as a farewell gesture.

I didn't want to leave London, but I didn't feel right staying here with my mother and her new husband Amir. I didn't want to interfere in my mother's new marriage with her second husband. Her first marriage with my dad was already screwed up two years after I came along. My dad lives in America, near Stanford University, which happens to be a university that I managed to get a place in. This was why I was going to live with him, because in that way, I could shoot two birds with one stone. Not literally, of course, but you know. Of course, I missed my dad a lot, which was why there was an excited part of me that urged me to tell my mother to hit the speed on the road, but of course, that would only hurt her feelings. I was going to Stanford University in America to become a doctor, a dream that my mother has always had, and to be really honest, I've never wanted anything more in life other than to make my mother happy, which was why I was fulfilling her dream of becoming a doctor at Stanford University.

"You alright honey?" my mother asked. I stared at her face through the rear-view mirror and identified all the facial features that I'd inherited from her. All in all, my mother was a pretty woman. My mother, Amina Khan, had no issues when it came to glamming herself up, because she was naturally pretty. Like her, I'd inherited her pale skin, her brown eyes, her full lips and her straight black-brown hair.

"I'm fine mum. You?" I asked.

"I'm just nervous you know. You've never been away from me for so long, and I'm just worried that I'm going to miss something important in your life honey. Of course, you're all grown up now, so I shouldn't have to worry much, but I'm just scared honey. I'm scared of the big bad world out there"

"I'll be fine mum," I reassured her.

"Zahra darling, you're eighteen now, and I know how eager you are to become a doctor, but you look very mature for your age, and I'm just scared of letting you go. You're a pretty girl, and I'm worried you'll fall into the same traps I fell in. Promise me you'll be careful,"

"I promise mum. Don't worry about me. You have some fun, and I'll keep Dad company," I reassured her, once again.

"Give Ahmed my salaams," she said, as we pushed our baggage trolleys into the check-in area.

"I will do, and give Amir mine for me," I replied.

She smiled in return and gave me one last hug as we finalized the check-in and headed into security. Of course I was scared of letting her go, but what could I do?

And that was the last I saw of my mother, before giving her one last wave and heading through the security gates.

*-*

When I arrived at the airport in America, I was immediately accustomed to familiarizing myself with my surroundings. After all, I would have to get used to being here for a long long time.

"Zahra!"

I turned around and saw Ahmed standing by the waiting area looking the same as always in his checkered shirt and battered jeans.

"Dad!"

"Assalamu alaikum! How's my little girl?" he asked, as he gave me a hug.

"Walaikumasalam, I'm fine Dad. You?" I asked. Of course, I couldn't call him Ahmed to his face.

"I'm fine now. Now that my little girl has finally come to live with me and study at Stanford University!" he was beaming so much, I felt awful about asking him for my own car. After all, my transport was something I couldn't compromise on.