Chapter Eighteen ⌔ Too Much

Start from the beginning

It wasn't done yet?

The car spun and hit something, suddenly turning everything upside down before it righted itself again. I couldn't see anything -it was far too dark. All I could smell was gasoline. All I could hear was screaming, crying and the sounds of screeching tires and groaning metal.

I reached out blindly, feeling something burn across my hip. "Karen?" I coughed. "Karen..."

There was a cough and then a pained moan.

"It hurts," Karen whimpered. Our breathings were heavy but I couldn't do anything, everything was so dizzying. There was a frighteningly loud screech behind us and a crash that didn't sound good. I couldn't breathe -the air was suddenly so thick.

"K-Karen. What... are...?" I coughed, my hands weakly coming up to cup my mouth. As I pulled away, I noticed some dark liquid over my hand. What...?

Was that blood?

I blinked fiercely to clear my eyesight and then noticed the same dark liquid spattered against the windshield, all over the seats and over the limp hand of a familiar pale skin. My mom's hand lay limp against her side, blood slowly dribbling down her exposed arm and fingers.

My eyes widened and pain sliced through me.

"Mom? Mom! Oh, God! Mommy!" I cried out, hysterically as I struggled to get my limbs to move. I felt stiff and something was hurting my hip. I let out a sob and turned my head towards where Karen was supposed to be sitting.

"Karen? Karen." She was there; I could see the edge of her jacket. She just wasn't responding to me. "Karen!"

I let out a cry as I tried to move but couldn't because of a powerful surge of pain from my left hip. I glanced down and saw something sharp and jagged sticking out of my hip. A large window splinter from the broken window had somehow wedged its way into my skin.

I clenched my jaw as my bloodied fingers gripped the edge of the glass and tried to pull it out. My hands were uncoordinated and I was shaking too much; my fingers just accidentally pushed the glass further into my hip. I screamed out in pain as stars exploded before my eyes.

My scream seemed to have revived Karen a little as she suddenly moved. "Sierra?"

"Help... me..." I whimpered. Karen struggled to turn around and when she did, I screamed in horror. On her cheek was a deep gash that had blood pouring out of it. "Karen, your face -"

I shouldn't have been so careless. I should have known that everything that transpired in the car took only a few seconds to happen. I should have heard the oncoming screaming metal as it skid towards us.

I no longer had energy to scream as it knocked into the left side of the car.

The last thing I heard before I fell unconscious was Karen's crazed scream.

"Sierra!"

*

"How's David doing?"

I lifted my eyes up from the History book opened in front of me and looked into a familiar pair of blue-grey eyes. I felt a warm smile draw onto my face as Katrina Hollands grinned down at me, holding out a sweet for me to take. I accepted her gift and glanced at Pepper as she squealed from beside me at getting offered a sweet as well.