Sting x Reader | Cendrillon | AU

Comincia dall'inizio

A duckling could never become a swan, no matter how much it pretended to be one.

Uncomfortable with this atmosphere of the ballroom, I made my way to the balcony. It was ironic how lovely the gardens of Sabertooth Palace were while the people outside starved to death on infertile grounds. Did the villages on the edge of the kindgom that were ravished by war even though what flowers looked like?

The cold breeze that blew past me reminded me of the cruel reality I was in, of the mission I had been given.

I had to find the prince.

"Are you alright? You seem cold"

The voice that had come from seemingly nowhere shocked me. I twirled around to find myself facing a handsome man with perfect blond hair and blue eyes.

Bells rang in my head. This was him.

"P-Prince Sting!" I hurriedly curtsied, silently cursing at myself for stuttering in such a timid manner. "If I may ask, why are you here?"

"The dancing was boring," he simply said, eyes seeming to stare right through me. "And you?"

"I wanted to came here to see the gardens, it seems so beautiful" I lied just in time to hear another slow song beginning to play from the ballroom.

"Shall we dance, my lady?" The Prince offered me a hand with a smile full of elegance and charisma.

My eyes lingered on the unblemished, pure white gloves that hid his blood-stained hands. Although I was unable to hide the hesitance behind a flawless smile, my hand found itself reaching out for his.

"May I know your name, my lady?"

"It's [Name], Your Highness."

His smile under the moonlight was extraordinarily charming, as if this truly were a scene out of a children's book.

'Search and find the one who has wronged us,
Your whispered words are still echoing...
I grip even tighter the weapon held in my hands,
As I plot to bring your ending...

As I danced with the prince, the memories of my mission details flashed in my mind. It reminded me the consequences of failure just as my heart began to waver. No matter what happens, the prince must die by the midnight.

If not by midnight, then tonight at the very least.

It was Sabertooth who first engaged war with other kingdoms. The monarchs' endless greed quickly spelled doom for its citizens, for it was the commonfolk who suffered under the pressure of never-ending wars.

Each village sent its young men out to battle, yet none would return unscathed. Without the young men, hundreds of villages suffered from bandit attacks and lack of workers, creating ghost towns that spread across the entire kingdom.

The once flourishing lands of Sabertooth were no more and it merely became a shell of its former self.

Fairy Tail was a group formed to save the people from the decisions of royalty. Tonight, assassins had been sent to infiltrate the palace to kill each of the princes and princess. Their deaths would bring peace to the people, for without their pillars, Sabertooth would crumble in war.